Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

A mild dilemma!

edited October 2005 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• Hi, I'm new to Talkback but have been doing a WM course for a while now.  I've been writing off and on for most of my life, but am now looking to do it more seriously.  I've mostly written stuff with a love interest (being an incurable romantic) and have never had any problem with it before, even during my marriage and its demise and in the four years since the split - maybe it was wishful thinking for a better, closer relationship with someone!  That is something I now have, as a friendship with a male friend of over 3 years has recently developed into a closer, loving relationship and I have never been happier - more so even than when I was married.  However, I now find myself unable to write romantic stories as I judge everything I write as being insipid and inadequate reflections of what I now know it is possible to feel towards someone! Maybe its just that my writing isn't good enough yet to describe what can be between two people or that it's so deep as to defy description or explanation!  I'm now aiming towards writing thrillers/crime stories in an effort to keep writing! :-) 
    Alik
  • Hello Alik,
    I'd say just write, write and write some more.  You'll develop your own style and find the thing you're happiest with.  I find competitions good because they make me write stuff I wouldn't normally try, like ghost stories.  It's good to experiment - the only limits are your own imagination. Although people always say you should write about what you know, sometimes you're just too close to a particular subject to do it justice.  Maybe this is the case with your romantic stories.  So, keep plodding away and keep believing that you can do it!
  • Thanks for your input :-) I'll keep at it!

Alik
  • Welcome Alik to Talkback and I wish you all the best with your writing.