Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

influence on children

edited September 2005 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• I'm writing a children's story at the moment where the seven year old protagonist goes off with the tooth fairy, just leaving a note for her parents who are still asleep.
    This is probably a stupid question, but does this imply that it's OK to go off with strangers?
    Does it make a difference that it's a comedy-fantasy story where nothing is very true to life?
    If anyone's got any opinions or advice on this I'd be very grateful.
  • Don't know.  I guess Wendy and her brothers flew off with Peter Pan.  Having said that, we're all treading on eggshells these days in order to be PC, non-sexist,racist,ageist and whatever-ist they can come up with.
  • I don't think it is alright for the protangonist to do this without there being some sort of consequence - will the parents be pointing out to the child that he should not have done this on his return, even though they are pleased to see him? 

I know political correctness can be taken too far, but children often have difficulty separating fantasy and reality.  Conflicting messages about going out of the house at night/going off with strangers could be confusing - on one hand children are told they shouldn't do it because it's dangerous, and on the other it could lead to an adventure as in that book they read...

I know it's not the same but this weekend a child I know had a frightening experience choking (although he's fine).  He copied an advert on TV for biscuits - it shows a child inhaling pieces of biscuit through a straw - on TV it looks fun, but the reality was quite different.  It didn't occur to him that it was dangerous or a silly thing to do because it simply didn't seem that way on TV.

I think that we have a responsibility as adults to send the right consistent messages to children.  So I think let your protangonist have his adventure, but let there be a consequence for going off in the first place.  But I expect others may disagree...
  • "The Never Ending Story"
    The main character reads a book loaned by the mysterious owner of a bookshop and journeys into the world of the book.

Seems similar to your scenario, that became a film and generated sequels.
  • Jan is right, there are loads of examples like this.  I feel that child protangonists acting in ways that real children should not needn't impact on the commercial success of a book (although many of such books are aimed at older children).  But the matter of how this may influence children is perhaps separate. 

Also, since your protagonist is seven I'm guessing the book is aimed at children perhaps 5-7 years of age, who may not separate fact from fiction. They are still very young. Obviously this is less of an issue as children grow up, as Lixxy mentions.  I feel strongly about the way we influence YOUNG children - older children will appreciate the context of a story more readily.
  • Thanks for all your responses.
    The seven year old is in trouble at the end when she gets home, but I'm still agonising over it.
    Thanks.
  • I'm sure it's fine - but why not come round and discuss it?
  • Oh dear, I fear with all this political correctness being emphasised, we as writers are in serious danger of losing our creative spontaniety where writing fiction goes. Never mind the threat of terrorism, this is a far bigger threat in a sense in terms of democratic thinking and in a way, playing right into the hands of terrorists. They want to stamp on our freedom. It is perhaps time to make a bold stand. I have read scores of thrilling and terrifying stories as a child but I am a rational human being as an adult, I hope and have not been the least worst affected by it. To some extent, children like to be a wee bit frightened when reading a book, particularly the ten year old as their minds are slowly maturing in their development at this stage I would have thought. They know they have the security and comfort of their home so throw the dice, you never know, you might gain something and be published.  Go for it!!
  • I've lost count of how many children's stories I've read (or seen on TV and at the cinema) that revolve around a child leaving home with a stranger.

Examples off the top of are The Wizard of Oz, Alice in Wonderland, James and the Giant Peach, and the BFG.

Teaching a child that it's a bad idea to go places with a stranger, and that a story isn't reality, is the job of the child's parent - not the author of a children's story.

- Richard