Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Location location

edited January 2008 in - Writing Problems
In my novel ( listen to me!) I have described using 'left luggage lockers' at Cardiff railway station. I found out today that the station no longer provides these lockers. Will this be a major problem if I leave this in.

Comments

• edited January 2008
    I wouldn't have thought so. Afterall, there's no platform nine and three quarters at Kings Cross station but it didn't stop J K Rowling.
  • I don't really know. I've never used real places in my children's books. If I did I would probably make them accurate at the time of writing. On the other hand, it's fiction so doesn't matter.
  • When is your novel set? If in the past then they might have been there.
    If currently, what does the station do with left luggage? Have they got another system, or don't people leave luggage now? It might give your story another avenue.
  • I think Josette answered this for me. Ta. It's set in 2007 and if I remove the LL lockers I will have to radically change the story line. The Lockers stay, is what I say.
  • I'm sure it won't matter, Marc. Most people who read the novel will not know that there are no lockers at that station.
  • Unless you live in Cardiff :)
  • And have needed to use the non-existent lockers!
  • Or read the book, and on the next visit to Cardiff go to use the lockers- wonder how they'll explain that to their customers (only joking!)
  • My book will be for a (disappointed) Cardiff reading market. I bet Dan Brown wound't be bothered with such things.
  • Most main line stations have a staffed office where items can be securely left, rather than self-service lockers. I'd be very surprised if Cardiff doesn't have this facility.
  • Amboline.

Prepare yourself for a surprise: They don't.
  • A belated comment - as most of mine seem to be - perhaps I'm not spending enough time here on TalkBack :)

My understanding is that left luggage facilties at stations went out with the rubbish bins in the 1970s as the result of the IRA campaign in the UK. As always, Google is your friend - google for left luggage ira (without quotes) and you get some v interesting results. I for one (and maybe I'm a picky so-and-so :) ) would find it jarred if you referred to LLL However, if you google for national rail left luggage it now tells me that the Excess Baggage run a service - admittedly only at major stations (but I don't see why they might not expand their service to Cardiff - you could just ask ! or indeed assume for your own purposes that they have). If you visit their site http://www.excess-baggage.com and click on Lost Property there is a picture of one of their "stores".

P
  • What do they do with left luggage? They blow it up.
  • Liverpool Street Station still has a left luggage place - costs the earth though!
  • Try
    nationalrail.co.uk
    I think that will have the info you seek.
  • I am student of University of Westminster, http://www.extra-baggage.com is one of the best shipping company in UK
  • Welcome to Talkback, Ati.
  • [quote=ati] http://www.extra-baggage.com is one of the best shipping company in UK [/quote]

Hurray :)

Welcome to Talkback Ati.
  • Hi, Ati. Not sure how you found this thread - it's from 2008. Why not introduce yourself on a new thread in the Welcome Writers category?
  • edited March 2011
    I think the post from Ati could be spam...
    But then re-reading the bits before it might not be of course...:)
  • At least anyone needing a shipping company knows who to contact!

Now don't all rush. Form an orderly queue ...
  • Yes but hold on a minute...where are we all going? Somewhere nice, I hope. What shall I pack?
  • Lunch?
  • Good start. Swimming cossies? Oh, can't have lunch without champagne.
  • [quote=Jenny]Now don't all rush. Form an orderly queue ... [/quote]

:)

"elbows Jenny out the way"