Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Personal Details

edited January 2008 in - Website Problems
I know that people have problems about privacy, and hence are reluctant to reveal too much about themselves. However, it would be so nice if people would put just a few words about themselves, even if it's just about the type of writing they do, in the 'description' section of their personal details.
It makes it so much easier to relate to people if you know something about them. It doesn't have to be more than a few words, just to give a flavour, if you like, of yourself.
What do others think?

Comments

• just added to mine, Richt, they were a bit short on info, weren't they?
  • And there seems to be a limit on the number of characters- so it will be short and concise.
  • Have been meaning to do so ever since I realized the field was empty. Will do something soon.
  • Yes, good point Richt. I'll put something on mine. By the way, I just read your short story on the website. I thought it was lively and interesting - I really liked it.
  • Yep, another item ticked off the list.
  • I just tried to find this thread and it had disappeared. I then realised that I wasn't logged in. As soon as I logged in I could see it.
  • Done it. Not much room to say a lot, though!
  • edited January 2008
    Good idea, richt. It's disappointing to find nothing but a blank space.

I think the visit count might reflect the fact that I sometimes find it easier to close TB and then immediately reopen from my toolbar rather than scroll back up the page or even hit the back button.
  • Done mine too.
  • Does anyone know how many characters/spaces the description field has? Shouldn't it be obvious when we're trying to input? Is this another one for Jon to amend?
  • Not sure on the personal info, but I know that when I added my description, I had to reduce it down by about four words because they were cut off the end when I put it in originally.
  • Made a big effort and put something on my page!!
  • Not much room is there?! Done something anyway :-)
  • Richt - See how influential you are? One word and we all leap to obey!!
  • Added to mine, Richt. Liked your story, by the way. Well done!
  • Midia, how did you get it to accept so much text?
  • It's not what 'big input' means, is it? (Does anyone know what it means?)
  • When I deleted my real name I also deleted my description because I was so cross about having personal stuff on display without my knowledge or permission.
    Anyway, I've put the description bit back (not that they give you much room to say anything!)

Carol - I think Midia has used the section at the bottom of the page where you can amend your details and added extra 'categories'.
  • OK, I've dunna bit. - boring person!

Jay, I think 'big input' just gives you a bigger box to type in - so that you can see more of what you have written.
  • I've added a bit to my profile too, but as with others ran out of space and had to edit it to fit.
  • Jay, I checked the answer from Jon about the input size, and this is what it is : "The current maximum number of characters is 5000"
  • I'm not putting anything on just yet. Think my account needs a bit of time to recover from the icon. Promise will do it soon.
  • Carol, if you go to add custom information, there are two boxes, one reads label, the other reads value. In the label one you can put something such as 'favourite colour', then in the value box you can write quite a bit about your fav colour (or whatever you want to write). You can then add as many new labels and values as you wish. I found it gives you more space to write. Hope that helps. xxx
  • Thanks Midia, that makes sense.
  • went in and altered mine, thanks, Midia!
  • Wow! I'm not used to 'everyone leaping to obey', as you put it Jenny. Thanks all.
  • I'm struggling to find something interesting to say about myself.
  • You clearly have some kind of power Richt!
  • Okay I'll obey.
  • Richt. I'll do it. I promise I'll do it. But not just yet, I have to think about that for a while.
  • VivViv
    edited January 2008
    Dorothy - you've made your description really interesting by adding all those extras. It really is the best way to squeeze more text in. And I agree with richt, we do like to know a bit about each other's interests etc, especially new joiners.
    And Midia too. What a great insight into your life, Dolmio and all!
  • it makes me sound interesting, when the truth is, getting out of bed in the morning and looking in the mirror (always a mistake) says no you're not interesting, you're a normal 9-5 person. On the other hand, the fact I spend shower time and dressing time with two guys telling me what colour the day is (as in what to wear) and reaching startling spiritual conclusions from the one hour call from the States last night, when I was swapping messages with spirits - one decided it would be quicker and easier to come and see me, so he did, only to receive messages via phone from those over there ... yes, perhaps it is interesting after all, if a tad mind boggling at times!
  • Dorothy - can I suggest if that is the effect it is having that you do away with the mirror!
  • I don't have to do away with mine - they break everytime I approach one.
  • I've found that some mirrors are kinder than others!
  • I might need to borrow some of yours then because mine all make me look like the side of a house.
  • It's like shop windows and mirrors in shops - I've yet to meet a kind one - they make me look like a fat old bag lady :-(
  • Unfortunately, I am a fat old bag lady but that's hardly the point! Someone really should sell a mirror that doesn't tell it like it is. And I gave up looking at my reflection in shop windows three children ago.
  • Did mine a while ago but the fields are so short i can't format it how i want to and have had to cut down some sections considerably :(
  • edited January 2008
    Blimey, BR, it was only supposed to be a brief description - not an autobiography!! What are you - a writer or something?

Do you spend a lot of time on the loo?
  • lol that was a photo i did not long ago for another group, there's actually about 60 more books on shot but had to crop it down for this site
  • i was looking on my personal profile and couldn't find where to input information. Can anyone help me?
  • If you click the account tab at the top of the page, it shows your current info etc.
    On the left hand side of that page you'll see Account Options with three items below it- you click on whichever one of those you need.
  • thanks, i'd been looking at it all along, it was just me being me!
  • It helps to know where things are...:)
    (We had to work it out by ourselves when we got this new board, and make mistakes trying...;) )
  • I might sound really smart and annoying but I found it right away. Well, I don't get distictions in IT for no reason. I'll stop bragging now! ;)
  • You are young Probie, and are more likely to work these things out than us older ones. ;)
  • I've finally done mine ^^
  • I have thought about it again - will put it on "to do" list. (bet that's the most interesting comment you all have read all day !)
  • I update mine constantly, according to what has happened.

Clearly I have nothing better to do. ><