Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Editing and revising

edited April 2008 in - Reading
How do you edit & revise? I'm talking about your manuscript/document, not how you decide what to cut/add etc.

Do you replace the original? Keep both versions? How do you make sure you use the latest version? What if you realize the previous was better? When you cut all unwanted text, do you paste it somewhere just in case? What do you call/How do you label the different versions?

Comments

• Not asking much, are you Jay?

Shamefully, I admit to working with the original. I think for me, rewriting and editing is where art comes into it for me. It is like working on a painting, adding brushstrokes etc. I've never discovered that the original was better (probably luck more than anything else). Although, if I feel something is good I do paste it to another document if I would otherwise delete it. At the moment, I'm starting a new draft from scratch, so it is called bound 2008.

As you probably guessed, I work exclusively on my laptop, until the final draft where I print it off and read it aloud.
  • I revise on printed copy of original with copy of original on screen. The original remains in existence. Subsequent versions will probably be stored in different font.
    I,ve heard of people using different fonts for versions and sometimes changing the colour and/or printing on various coloured paper.

But I have to have hard copy to read and use pen/pencil to delete/scrub/comment.
    Anything I delete is still on original if needed - and in notes, sometimes - but when working I paste bits onto new document and rework it rather than delete on screen.
    Sometimes type alternative versions in red on the document (copy of original)
  • I make alterations and replace the original. I only keep printed sections of the original that I think I may be able to use elsewhere.
  • I print it off and go over it with red ink, keep the original copy and call it '(title) b' or whatever, unless it really is just a case of editing spelling mistakes etc.
  • I do a combination of all those things mentioned - then at the end of all that can't remember what I called what or where I put it ! So I spend hours re-reading things from way back, and then sometimes find something I forgot about or could use in something I am doing now.
    See ? I AM organised after all ! :)
  • I used to keep a copy of anything I had written/typed, under the idea that you should never throw anything away, but I had reams of stuff, some wholly written and other bits and pieces, clogging up my room and then my computer.

So for this reason alone I now replace the original. Obviously if there is anything I think i golddust I will keep in case I can use it elsewhere.
  • edited April 2008
    After the first draft (usually longhand) I write a synopsis (now that I know what happens). This will be the basis for my second draft, though things my change. I keep the first draft but don't look at it while I write the second. Then I rewrite the synopsis, as the story line has probably changed by now. Then I finally take to the computer and write version 3, often using (and rewriting) bits I like from the first 2 versions.

This 3rd version, on file, is the basis for any further revisions. These are often substantial, resulting in a new version. At this point, if I forgot to make a copy of version 3, I get very cross!

After that, it's usually a matter of relatively minor things to do with style and typos. Until someone like my editor sees it - at which point the redrafting may begin all over again!

I end up with a lot of material, both longhand and in computer files, which I can never quite bear to throw away, just in case. Hence an overcrowded computer and an overcrowded house!
  • Well I work on the original, but my computer has been set to save a back-up copy (an original version which isn't changed). If I need to I just make another copy.
  • I work on the original. I write and write, then take time out to go back and read from the beginning, revising as I go, deleting, adding, altering. Then write on and then revise the entire thing again and so it goes.
  • If I make changes, I save it as a new copy with the date that i worked on it in the file name, so there's a running record of all the changes.
  • Good thought. I must be a bit dumb because I just assumed I would edit the original. I never thought to keep an in tact copy of the original!! That is the new plan then. I have a couple more chapters to do then it will be some serious editing. There will also be a few things I have yet to add. Scary!
  • That is a good idea, writing the synopsis after the first draft and use it as a editing tool. I've only ever thought of it as a marketing tool.
  • edited April 2008
    And do you include details in the header/footer of your story? Title, author, reference (if any), date, page number out of x pages etc?

And where/how do you keep any paper copies? My flash fiction is mostly in plastic wallets in a ring-binder; and my stories are in (used) A4 envelopes. I eventually had to give each story a reference number - I'm up to 276 now - so I could find things.
  • edited April 2008
    Of course, I'm referring to my articles as I'm not a novelist, but I always start with a longhand version in a big A4 pad (unless I'm on the road in which case it gets written in the back of whatever exercise book I'm using as a journal).
    I write in double line spacing so that I can do my first edits in longhand. I only transfer to computer when I'm pretty happy with the text. Then I type it out, print it off and continue polishing and editing on the hard copy.
    The computer version gets corrected from the hard copy; I rarely edit on-screen, unless I'm on the road in which case everything gets done in the notebook til I find an internet cafe and type and send the final version.
    Sorry that was so long-winded Jay!
    To answer your last question - I keep all my notebooks with notes and dates of the contents written on the covers.
  • i just edit the original, but as i send my story back and forward to my hotmail every day (when i finish work to send it home to myself, and then at the end of the night to save and send it back to myself for the following day) i have at least 2 copies of my story, as well as the one on my work compuer and the one at home. i have saved every one, dated and with the day's wordcount, onto folders on my hotmail, so if i really wanted to see a previous draft i have those copies to look through.
    i write in a little notepad whenever i get an idea while i'm on the bus or wherever, but just copy that straight onto my computer as soon as i can. there are a couple of bits in book #1 that i chopped from short stories that i've written, because i liked a particular sentence or paragraph i'd done there, and it fit perfectly in my book. i just copied and pasted those parts straight over.
    i'm almost done with my 2nd draft of book #1 now, and did most of my edits in red pen or highlighter on the printed copy of the first draft, and stuck on post-its for any big additions, rather than trying to scribble it on the page (it's hard enough to understand my own handwriting sometimes without trying to do that!)
    i've actually been worried that i'm doing something wrong, because i haven't cut an awful lot from the first draft. i have chopped a few bits out, but nothing big. i've mostly been just amending or adding to the draft or moving bits around. i mean, i was editing the first draft as i went along (for quite a lot of it i was rereading the chapter every time i sat down to write, before i wrote any more on it), but i thought that editing usually involves culling huge amounts of the book and rewriting it. maybe my editing as i went along has stopped me needing to chop chunks out.
    i've found i'm working the same way with book #2, too; editing and rereading and rewriting as i'm going along.

*SA*
  • hahaha!! i just realised i've dragged an old thread up from this time last year!! freaky!! x
  • I revise by saving my document under a different file name ("story_1.doc - Story_2.doc) so that if I feel I have made such a cock up, I can just delete all the edits I have made by loading up the last best file.

While editing I do something that not all writers do, but which I urge you all to consider. Firstly I create a document called "Scrap" and I have this document open (in the background) while working on the story. If I find something that is very very cool, so cool that it can never be edited, but sadly doesn't work either in this part of the story, or at all, then I CUT (ctrl+x) and PASTE (ctrl+v) the paragraph/page/sentence from the original document into the Scrap document.

You see I haven't actually deleted it, so I don't have to chew all my fingers off worrying whether this work of genius should be lost forever to the admiring public.

For the record, I have never ever used anything from my scrap documents, but should I need to, my ego knows where to find them ;)

Once I have been through the text until my eyeballs are bleeding, I then pass the copy onto my wife who, being German, can often sniff out spelling mistakes and bad grammar. Once it passes this hurdle, has been corrected by me again, it is then passed onto one of my trusted readers to go through and read, find mistakes, give me feedback. This can take several months, so I usually start another project while that is happening.

Once I get the call that feedback is ready to be given, I pop round, eat some humble pie, take the red ink stained MS with me, start working on the corrections and plot holes.

Once that is finished my wife gets the whole thing AGAIN to read through. Once the corrections are done, I then leave it for a few months, come back to it and polish up the opening pages and work on the dreaded synopsis.

See, being a writer is easy ;)
  • of course it is.
    Like ... writing four pages at the weekend, and then being told the author wants to rip them up and start over again in a completely different format, which we did last night. He wrote a page, we tore it apart, all but destroyed it and began again ... this, I hasten to add, is not Guy who is standing back, highly amused, as this author works his way through the start of what will be, essentially, an ongoing Journal. So, as a Journal it needs to be fluid, personal, casual, not the formal way it began, hence the rewriting.
    So ... for anyone who thinks I get the easy tasks around here with spirit authors ...
  • The software I use for writing - Scrivener - makes it all ridiculously easy. You can create as make drafts as you want, all in the same master document, copy and paste the text from one to the other and edit away to your heart's content secure in the knowledge that the previous draft is just a click away.
  • edited May 2009
    Anyone know of a way of merging/combining documents without having to copy & paste? And without having a doctorate in IT? My short stories/flash fiction are created as single documents, but if I want to send a collection to a potential publisher they have to be made into one long document.
  • If you're using Word you can use the Master Document feature which allows you to "paste in" the names of subsidiary documents, and format them all as one.

Don't rely on it for big mss, though, as it's notorious for failing especially if you fiddle with it a lot.

(The master document, I mean...!)
  • Assuming you're working in Word, you can just insert file. I'm on the 07 version and they've changed it. In this version you go to Insert, at the right hand side there is the menu for text and an icon for object. Click on object and it says insert file. On the older version, if I can remember rightly it's just insert and then file. If these garbled instructions aren't plain, email me with your version and I'll explain in more detail.
  • In October 2009's Writing Magazine, page 69, it mentions individual chapters saved as separate documents, and how to combine them.

Sorry if I've confused you by resurrecting this thread - I couldn't find the one I was looking for.

I've just been revising some of my short stories and found that, even though they weren't written all that long ago, technology has made them sound out of date. I've had to replace the word 'video' and there's no mention of SatNavs in my map-reading story.
  • good points, Jay. I am reading Howard Spring (40s, 50s, 60s) where everyone has cigarettes or pipes and finds a telephone an intrusion. I can lose myself in the nostalgia of the novels but for short stories, it definitely has to come up to date.
  • Yes I found I had to update a short story because in the five years since i'd written it, a name of a group I'd invented for it, now existed, when originally there hadn't been anything like it.
    Google does have its uses...
  • For articles I write a draft, calling it draft, and then copy and paste a copy on which to work, often simply editing paragraphs as I go along, inserting or cutting text and rearranging paragraphs. I just number the versions, saving the final document sent as copy. That way I know which was the final version but I still have any material I have cut and may wish to use in an article for a different market. I am not sure this would work for longer pieces though.

Articles become outdated, too, and new research often means that questions I have posed in previous pieces have been answered and the information can be incorporated and maybe new questions raised. Even if writing on the same topic I only read through any old articles to refresh my memory but then start from scratch on the new piece.
  • I write on paper and revise and copy it out again and again (possible with poems of course!). Then and only then does it get on to the computer.

However I do change stuff on the computer and basically I do get very muddled up as to which are the latest versions... sometimes I change the title of it to say, latest, the version, the best version etc... which sounds obvious at the time but later on I can't remember which is which. Although reading it usually tells me. But then sometimes I file it n different places and don't know where I've filed the latest or if the one I'm looking at is the latest.

So basically I'm a completely useless person to ask.

Poems can go through a lot of changes and often it's only one word, and later on I'm unsure which word I like best. Some poems of mine out there have two versions or more.
  • [quote=Randomguy]Firstly I create a document called "Scrap" and I have this document open (in the background) while working on the story[/quote]

That's a good idea that I will tart using. I often cut text from my documents, but simply call it the name of the story I am writing, followed by "extra words." The result of this is I have lots of docs, with extra words that aren't really doing anything because I'd have to view each one to see the words.

Keeping it all in one area labelled "Scrap" will help me save time.
  • Bright ideas wanted!

I've nearly finished editing a short story, but I can't help thinking I've used the characters' names too much. It's M/M, so 'he said/she said' isn't possible. I've put 'his partner' and am toying with 'his companion' (although I'm not terribly happy with that), and I could thingy*** [such a way with words] between one character's full name and the abbreviation. They're in a car going somewhere for Christmas.
  • Does one of them have a name that could be shortened sometime? So So say Simon could be Si, or something like that which you could add in somewhere.
  • That's what my 'thingy***' sentence was trying to say. Toggle on computers, but couldn't think of the right word for ordinary stuff.
  • :)
    I wasn't concentrating properly as you can see...
  • Yes, full name in the attributions, abbreviated in dialogue. The other possibility is to have two distinctive voices so that it's clear who's speaking. Goo dluck with it, Jay.
  • I find you can tell who is speaking for quite long periods without any attribution at all, as long as they speak in turns. And keep to the same subject/viewpoint...
  • A man that my mum knows has written a book, and sent it to me saying he wanted a brutally honest critique. He had seen some of my work and felt I knew what I was talking about.
    It is a children's book and is, well, really not good. What he sent me is what he considered his final draft, but IMO, it's a few drafts away from being done. I read up to where I considered was the natural end of the first chapter (7 pages in) rather than where he'd marked the end of the chapter (29 pages in. No, that's not a typo. Twenty nine pages in. In a book for ten year olds). To be honest, it was a real struggle to read. Both characters sounded exactly the same; the only way I knew who was speaking was because he had A remarked, B exclaimed, A cheered, B noted. There were adverbs all over the place, terrible grammar, punctuation and spelling, unrealistic dialogue, no descriptions of anything until about five pages in, and telling, telling, telling.
    I marked up the copy he'd had my mum email to me - pointing out the good as well as the not so good, with suggestions - and asked him to give me his email address so I could send it back to him, but he didn't reply. My mum's just told me that he's submitted the version that I read, as it was. I think that he wanted me to say I'd be honest, when actually he wanted me to sing his praises, and didn't want to hear it when he realised I was going to have some negatives in my critique. I don't see the point of that. How can you improve your work to publishing standard if all you have is everyone telling you what you want to hear, rather than what you need to hear?

*SA*
  • LizLiz
    edited March 2010
    He'll soon learn SA!!

Although coming to think of it, someone (elderly) once asked me how to get something published. On further enquiry, he had written a picture book without reading any picture books, without knowing about word count, page numbers and multiples, leaving some of the story to be told in the pictures etc. etc. etc.

I asked if he'd sent it anywhere. Yes. What did they say? That it had nothing to recommend it whatsoever and they suggested he gave up writing...
  • [quote=Dwight]full name in the attributions, abbreviated in dialogue[/quote]

Well, I tried. The dialogue didn't mention their names at all, and one of the names isn't usually abbreviated. I managed to remove a few, and will have to hope for the best.
  • SA, I get this so many times. Someone sent a story in, nothing to do with this business whatsoever, and asked for comments. Like you I did the positive/negative thing. Got back an angry response, if you can't be nice don't bother!
    Then there was the 5 page story with illustrations about a dragon on the Isle of Wight. It came from someone in a writer's group ... she sent it because we were on the Isle of Wight and could publish it for her. It didn't seem to matter that we have no magazine ... I sent back advice on submitting work generally, told her to give it to the whole group, who obviously had no bliddy idea, (unquote - daughter's saying) but didn't say that. Never heard a word. Now I don't bother, it's 'sorry this is not suitable for our list' and done.
  • And not just technology necessitates a change (an apt word here):

"I'm a saint," retorted Rob.
    "The only saint you come close to has his name on a label in your underwear."

OK, I know I've put verb then character's name.
  • I do everything on my laptop. I start with a synopsis or plan of the book. Then I do a chapter by chapter guide. This always changes in part as I start to write but it gives me direction. Once finished I spend a lot of time going through the manuscript and making changes where I think they need to be made. I once decided to weave in a whole new sub-plot at that stage which improved it a lot - but obviously caused more changes.
  • Sounds very close to how I've done mine,Daisy.