Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Who's in September 10's magazines due out on 5th August

edited August 2010 in - WM and WN
As Jay is absent I assured him I'd start the thread for this month.

Who's in September 2010’s magazines? The magazines are due out on 5th August so DON'T EXPECT THEM UNTIL THEN.

If you spot yourself, please let us know which magazine and which page; and the name the article appears under if it differs from your Talkback name. If you spot someone else, PLEASE LET THEM post the details here.

Remember: if mentioning a story, don't give the ending away.

Comments

• that time already :)
  • Bringing this to page 1 in case anyone gets theirs delivered Wednesday.
  • Well that would be good, it's Wensdy tomorrow
  • I can't catch up - Writers News, Writing Mag, Writers Forum, Mslexia - aaaaah! There aren't enough hours in the day, and I still have loads to read from last month's issues, let alone the one before that.
  • I got through Writers' Forum very quickly this time. Am I just skimming now ...
  • edited August 2010
    No Ceka, I found that happened with the latest WF magazine, and it usually takes me longer to read than WM.
    No post yet...
  • I received mine this morning!
  • Got them yesterday, already read them. As usual, got a lot more out of WN.
  • Mine arrived today, didn't see any obvious TB names this month.
    Have only had a quick scan through, so will read in detail later.
  • Got mine yesterday and slowly reading though it A very useful artical on Show don't tell.
  • Just what you were talking about, st!
  • I think there is a familiar name under the coast to coast comp in WN page 23?

I enjoyed the winning children's story in WM, written in rhyme, on page 24. What did others think?
  • Then it must be someone who's real name I don't recognise, as none of them meant anything to me. Which of the sections was it?
  • I noticed that too kateyanne - the only TB name I spotted this time.

I didn't read the story, I'm afraid, as it was for children so I wasn't interested enough.
  • edited August 2010
    It's on page 23 Winners of Coast to Coast comps. Sonnet comp third prize.
  • Ah I see it now- duh! How did I miss that...
    Well done that TBer. :)
  • Yes well done!
    Also cathbore is on page 18 not seen her on here recently.
  • Thank you - yes it was me - THe result was months ago so I was surprised to see it. I seem to have a lot of success with sonnets - perhaps I should stop everything else and just do those!
  • Well if you see something that needs sonnets I suggest you go in for it...:)
  • Writing Magazine's competition again uses the name "Mary". Please can't they think of another name, one more up to date?

http://www.writersnews.co.uk/writers_talkback/comments.php?DiscussionID=66761

(Washing up competition)
  • Well done, Mutley!
  • [quote=Jay Mandal]Please can't they think of another name, one more up to date?[/quote]
    Better still, Jay, please can't they think of another competition entirely!! What are they doing - churning out these comps cyclically now? (See link below to exactly the same competition three years ago) Sounds as though they have a list of topics somewhere and they just keep regurgitating them back to the top of the pile.

http://www.writersnews.co.uk/writers_talkback/comments.php?DiscussionID=66761&page=1

I wonder who won the last competition? Perhaps if that same person resubmitted their original winning entry, they might win it again. (Well honestly, if WM can do it......)
  • Um ... IG, it was only the name, unless I'm missing something here.
  • I do find the competition sentences they supply very dull and mundane - they never inspire me to enter.
  • [quote=Jay Mandal]IG, it was only the name[/quote]
    Derrr... :rolleyes: ...when you put 'washing up competition' in brackets at the bottom of your comment I thought they were re-running the whole topic again, too. Hehehe, I'll jump down off me 'igh 'orse then, shall I?
  • Thanks for the input everyone, we'll try to be a bit more up to date!
    We're just about to announce the full programme for 2011, with some (hopefully!) exciting new themes. The Competition Special, published in a couple of weeks with our October issue, has full details.
    We do try to keep the themes fresh, but obviously the REALLY popular ones (crime, love, adult fairy, etc) come round each year.
  • Thanks Webbo.
    It will be interesting to see the new themes.
    I know first and last lines feature, but has WN/WM ever considered a line or phrase that has to be used somewhere within the story?
  • Writing Magazine, page 10, Publishing snippets. The two items which/that mention Shakespeare and Edward de Vere.

I know I have to wave my writing hand around to check which is left, but I thought other people found it easier.
  • Writing Magazine, page 61. Q&A - there's a query about characters' names ... from someone whose name is ... No, you'll have to look it up. :)
  • Writing Magazine, page 18 - article about Show, not Tell.

Should it really be "disembowelled voice" (towards the end of column 2)?
  • Perhaps she's just checking that we read it.
  • edited August 2010
    Or a Freudian slip. Wishful thinking.
  • edited August 2010
    Webbo - don't know if you can help. Sorry to hijack this thread but I still haven't received my Sept issues of WM/WN, I e-mailed three times last week using the contact links on the home page but no response so I don't know if my e-mails are getting through. I would like the matter resolved as I have completely devoured the August editions! I would appreciate your help.

Post Script - added 20 mins later - coincidence or not just received email from subs dept, matter now resolved.
  • Disembowelled voice.. what does that mean? Hollow? :-)
  • makes me think of Ancient Egyptians
  • Unless we're all thick, and it's taken over like "the world's your lobster".
  • Do any of you remember which WM has the following years competitions in it? Is it July?
  • edited August 2010
    [quote=Webbo]We're just about to announce the full programme for 2011, with some (hopefully!) exciting new themes. The Competition Special, published in a couple of weeks with our October issue, has full details.[/quote]

Is this what you're after, Diana?
  • Yes, it could be. Thanks, Jay. I remember it wrong, then, 'cause I thought it was in a summer issue. I haven't received the magazine for some time, but I've ordered it again now, and I thought it was too late in the year so I wouldn't receive "the competition catalogue", so to speak. But, now I am hopeful :-).
  • Diana - yes, October issue is the one! Out in a couple of weeks.
    Jay - oops! There's always one misteak isn't there... *%#!!!
    Carol - we do sometimes have mid-story sentence competitions. In fact there's one coming up in December, and another scheduled for 2011.
  • Good news Webbo, thanks.
  • edited August 2010
    Hi, Webbo.

Is it simply serendipity/coincidence/whatever that Fantastic Realms is on page 42? (Douglas Adams, if you're confused.)

Also, are there plans to put Stuart Palmer's articles into a book? Although it's not my genre, it's one of the best bits of the magazine.
  • now that I do agree with, 100%! When you bothered to send it to me, (when you didn't lose my mandate) his was the one article that was Have To Read, out of all of them. The only one who really makes sense from a writer's perspective. A How To book from Stuart Palmer would be something else, with all those wonderful Turkey examples at the end!
  • And it would certainly sell to both the beginner and the improver.