Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Calling all Australians...

edited November 2005 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• Can you tell me whether Australians use the word 'crummy' or is it too much of an Americanism?  If you don't say 'crummy', is there an Australian equivalent?  Also, do you use the phrase 'no kidding'? 
  • Hi Lily - don't the answer to your question but you could direct it at Kangaroo.  Look for the name in the list of topics - I 'suspect' she may reside on that continent.
  • Hi,
    I'm only a teenager but i don't think i've heard anyone say 'crummy'it's more like terible, bad, crappy, ect.
    Some Australians use the phrase 'no kidding' but most of us use 'really', 'no way' or 'your joking'.
    I hope that was some help.
    -Amethyst
  • Amethyst, you've got it in the proverbial nutshell. I hope that helps Lily. I'm sorry I didn't get to it earlier.
  • Amethyst - thank you!  It's hard to know if you've got dialogue right when it's for a character from the other side of the world!
  • Hi, Lily.
    As this is a little while since your enquery, I'm not sure if this info will.
    No, in Ausssies don't use the word 'crummy' much, if at all. The usual terms are: 'grose', 'crap', and 'bulls**t'.
    For something good, the term normally used is, 'grouse'.
    Don't get the two mixed up!
    Barry1.
  • Thanks Barry1, this is still a 'work in progress' so I'm happy to receive any suggestions.
  • Hi,Lily,
    Glad to be of service! If you have other Ausssie enquiries let me know. If I don't know the answer, I'll probably be able to find it for you!
    In Your Service,
    Barry1.