Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Who's in June 2012's WM/WN?

edited April 2012 in - WM and WN
Who’s in June's 2012’s magazines? The magazines probably won’t be out until early May so DON’T EXPECT THEM UNTIL THEN.

If you spot yourself, please let us know which magazine and which page; and the name the article appears under if it differs from your Talkback name. If you spot someone else, PLEASE LET THEM post the details here.

Remember: if mentioning a story, don’t give away the ending.

Comments

• Sorry this thread is late, wasn't expecting it so soon.

My copy was waiting for me when I got home too.
  • Spotted two from TB already!
  • Mine has arrived today and I have spotted one TBer already.
  • Haven't bought it, but I am in the new Writers' Forum - twice. First is a piece about my new website http://www.read-reviewed.com and I'm one of the 'writers' mentioned by Simon Whaley in his article about plumbers. I mean writers. Sorry.
  • I saw that BB well done!
  • Spotted three TB's.
  • Congratulations, BB!
  • Well done BB.

It was good to see a number of TB's mentioned this month.
    Come on declare yourselves...
  • Well done, Baggy. What a star!!
  • edited April 2012
    Good to see my piece, under Members' News, page WN16, entitled The long and short of it.
  • Well done JL.
  • Well done Jackie.
  • Spotted four TBers!
  • Congratulations, Jackie!
  • Congratulations BB, and the other TBers. I'm off now to find all the articles.
  • Congrats BB, just saw your pieces in WF today. We're away from home just now so I bought it for the first time. WM is waiting behind the door for me when we get back! Looking forward to seeing who's in there.
  • Congrats to all in WM /WN, (Think I've already said that to BB)
  • Well done Jackie & BB. I'm in the members' section talking about Living Cruelty Free and so is Phot's Moll. Very pleased.

On the same day the mag arrived I got an email from a publisher I'd given up on aying they are interested in my zombie novel set in Scotland. Now have my fingers crossed.
  • Oooh, well hope they want it Jen!
  • Well done Jenthom.
  • Congrats Jackie and Jenthom!

Jenthom, as a Scottish lass, I'd love to know where your novel is set in Scotland! :)
  • Debby, the book is set in Glasgow, Largs and the Isle of Cumbrae (where I now live). I'm really hoping this Scottish publisher take it as I've used authentic Scottish dialogue and an English publisher might make me change it.
  • well done Jenthom.
  • I'm a fan of Glasgow, sounds good. I've yet to visit the Isle of Cumbrae though. Keeping everything crossed for you.

How did you find writing in authentic Scottish dialogue? I've just submitted to a comp calling for entrants to write in the local dialect of Doric (I'm from Aberdeen). Although I'm used to switching it on and off in speech, it was a whole new ball game writing it down! An enjoyable challenge though, with more than a little spelling help from a Doric book picked up in Waterstones. :)
  • Well done, Jenthom!
  • When I say authentic Scottish dialogue, Debby, it's the way people really talk and not in Doric or Gaelic, so it's in English put peppered with Scottish phrases and words. The book's called deid bastards because the zombies are deid i.e. dead and a bastard to kill. I think that's what Scots would call them.

Before, when I tried to write in American English that nobody really talks and most books seem to be written in the book was very flat. Changing it to authentic dialogue immediatelt lifted the text and gave it energy. Here's hoping I get a yes:)
  • Congrats BB, Jackie, Jenthom and Phot's Moll! I haven't even opened mine yet (or finished the last one) but will seek your pieces out.

Fabulous news about the zombie novel Jen - I'll be keeping everything crossed for you.
  • Congratulations BB, Jackie, Jenthom and Pho'ts Moll.
  • Thanks all, pretty chuffed that author Liz Fielding contacted me!
  • Great news from BB and Jenthom, and well done Jackie and Phot's!
  • [quote=Jenthom72]The book's called deid bastards because the zombies are deid i.e. dead and a bastard to kill.[/quote]

Love it. ;)

I'm afraid I'd probably be the same with writing in authentic Scottish dialogue as I was with Doric - checking spelling all the way. I can talk the talk, no problem - but getting it down on paper is a whole new ball game (maybe it's just me and ma heid. :))

Wishing you all the best. I hope you get that yes! :)
  • edited April 2012
    Debby, is it difficult. Especially knowing how to write things like wisnae. In the end, I read out the dialogue to help me. I'd love to try writing in Doric one day as I think it's more Scottish than Gaelic.

I'm a Lanarkshire and Glasgow and now Ayrshire hybrid. But I used to be a Dundee United season ticket holder so picked up words there too like peh for pie:)

If the publisher does take it I am going to dress up as a zombie at the book signing and lunge at people when they ask me to sign a copy:)
  • I can't see any shortlistings for the poetry competition in Writers' News this month.
  • Just got back off holiday and saw I'm in it. Congrats to BB, Jenthom and Jackie - haven't read yours yet as I have a lot of catching up to do.
  • Congratulations, Phots Moll!
  • edited May 2012
    Congratulations Jackie, Jenthom and Phots Moll (on page WN14).

I wonder who the fourth person is.

Well done, Baggy, on being published in the other magazine (I dare not speak its name). :)
  • edited May 2012
    Writing Magazine, page 33 says the advantages are 'repeated' twice; and chandlery three times.

Mind the trap.

:)
  • Webbo? :)