Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

UK magazine or journal suggestions?

Morning everyone. Is anyone from the UK stuck at home like me, unable to get to work? I'd like to pretend it's a shame, but here I am with more time to write.

I've been thinking about a short story I've had sitting on my hard drive for a while now. The only problem is, I've never found anywhere - an online or print journal/zine - that it seems to fit. I must be looking in the wrong places. It's gritty and a very British story in terms of the dialect used by the characters (bearing in mind that it's a first person narrative, too). So I'm using words like "gobshites" and "lugholes". I'm unsure whether any non-UK magazines would take it. There's a suggestion of a fantastical aspect, too, but it's actually a very down-to-earth story - with the speculative element proving to be a lie by the end of the story.

Based on that, can anyone think of any publications it might suit?

Comments

• Difficult one TS - which brings up the old but good advice "have yout target publication in mind before you write the story - get to know the editor's requirements well before you write the story as the editor knows his/her readership"
  • Very true, Betsie.
    But we all know there are stories we just have to write, even if we don't have a ready market for them...
  • I run an online webzine at http://www.runningoutofink.com It sounds like something we would like, if it's under 2500 words, take a look at our submission guidelines and submit it if you're interested.
  • It's sound advice, Betsie, but Carol's right: I wrote this one because I had.

Forget-me-not, I did come across your webzine (it's now on my ever-growing spreadsheet). My story is currently 3400 words. If I can cut about 900 words out (not so sure), I'll send it your way. Thank you.
  • According to a scribble in my notebook, The New Writer accepts stories up to 5000 words, TS. I'm not sure if that was for a competition or for general publication.
  • I'll check it out, Tiny. Thanks.
  • edited January 2013
    Beneath Ceaseless Skies - Spec fic may well accept what you have.

eta: BCS is not 'uk'
  • I've noted that down for future stories, Silver. Thanks. But this one doesn't fit.