Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Mystery valentine

edited February 2013 in Off-topic
Ever had one? One where you had no clue who it was from. If you got one would you be pleased or paranoid?

Comments

• I got one when I was about 17. It said: 'Baby, I need you... like a hole in the head.'

Summed up my love life at the time, never knew who sent it. It scarred me for life.
  • Yes, when I worked in the library at a civil service establishment. I don't know who sent it, but it was a bit risqu
  • [quote=ana s]paranoid?[/quote]

Actually, I was scared. Because of other things going on at the time I was very scared.

And to be honest, since then I hate anything arriving in the post that I'm not expecting.
  • Oooo-er.

I'm relieved to say I've never had an unidentified flying valentine winging its way through my letterbox. I did get some very unwelcome roses once, similar circumstances to BB's.
  • Sad, isn't it?

It's also changed how I feel about one of my favourite singles - Chicago's If You Leave Me Now. It was one of the first singles I bought when I was kid.

Now it just sounds needy and desperate.

In fact I began 'hearing' the other side to a lot of romantic songs - lot of stalking seems to go on in songs.
  • But on the other side of my soul...

This is the music I requested for parents on Classic FM today - it was played at their wedding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OvsVSWB4TI
  • What a lovely gesture, Baggy.

I had a Valentine's card a number of years ago and never did find out who it was from. I was married, so thought it inappropriate of the sender who would undoubtedly have known that. I had my suspicions, but no proof. I took no pleasure in receiving it. I felt a bit stalked and vulnerable. In fact, after that, I made a conscious effort not to be over-friendly towards friends' husbands in case it was misinterpreted.
  • Very wise Tiny Nell, people can be odd about these things and I wonder some times how secure they are
    in a relationship and use these 'moments' as an excuse to part. I myself have never made any effort to be over-friendly towards anyone.
  • Can't help wondering if they were testing the water and had imagined a connection.
  • I only ever had one mystery Valentine. I was 19, and had a very nice card, which the sender had written inside; "From me to you, with love from gues who?" The word guess was spelt as seen here, with just one 's'. I never did find out who sent it.
  • That made me laugh BB. Sounds like some decision being made...shall we have gas or electric.
  • [quote=Maro]I myself have never made any effort to be over-friendly towards anyone.[/quote]

I think I am often too friendly. I do tend to attract all sorts.

*looks around and nods*

When I met up with Nefertari I told her a few anecdotes of my encounters - one where I unintentionally got the attentions of a drug-addled prisoner who was into the occult and renamed me Kamala, another where a mad woman sat in my car and I drove off with her as she told me she was schizophrenic and had a 'fella' who hot-wired cars like mine.

Oh, yes, I've had 'em all. My husband tells me I smile too much at strange people.

*grins*
  • *grins*

[quote=Tiny Nell] I smile too much at strange people.[/quote]

Me too.
  • I take from that... I'm doing the right thing then you two.
    Tiny Nell that must have been so frightening.....or you pulling my plonker.
    I really have to try and smile at people and then I don't mean it. But then again if I don't know them, why should I.
  • I kid you not, Maro.

These are but two of the exciting events in the life of Tiny Nell.

I ended up writing to the prisoner and visited him in prison. He called himself Ogle Grimaka and used to send me strange photos of himself with the face cut out.
  • [quote=Tiny Nell]He called himself Ogle Grimaka and used to send me strange photos of himself with the face cut out. [/quote]

YUK. He sounds seriously bizarre. Horrible.
  • I know I shouldn't be, but for some unknown reason TN, your last comment about Ogle Grimaka made me laugh. Not sure what that says about me. :-)
  • I laugh at it myself, Debby!

What a strange situation I got myself into. He wanted my friend and me to be a wench and a high priestess and sit on a hilltop with him.

I didn't bother.
  • Oh me, there's definitely a story in there begging to be written.
  • I've never had a valentine's card, let alone a mystery one.
  • I had a mystery one once when I was 15. I still don't know who it was from.
  • Just been to Tesco and there's loads of cards left...
  • I had a mystery phone call when I was about 17. Answered the phone, *tape click*, Stevie Wonder's I Just Called to say... then hung up. I was cautiously flattered but confused, and wasn't sure if it was a cruel trick. If it happened now, I'd probably find something annoying about it (eg "you think I want to hear that godawful song?"!)
    I didn't know who it was at the time, but in hindsight it seems so obvious - my best friend at the time was a girl and when I told her about it, she told the story back to me, with embellishments, like a romcom film script, which I suppose was my opportunity to cue the orchestra and move in. But I was young, foolish and naive, and just thought her knowing a similar story was a massive coincidence!
  • *sighs*

Oh Webbo...
  • I NEVER had a mystery card ....weeps......... ;) We don't do Valentine's Cards. Every day THE WIFE is my Valentine....cur violins....
  • edited February 2013
    [quote=Webbo]I was young, foolish and naive,[/quote]

Not a Valentines day story,perhaps, but when I was 18, doing National service in the RAF, I spent 5 months on a course at Compton Bassett , Wiltshire, and used to cycle to and fro to Brum every weekend. My route took me through Winchcombe, at the edge of the Cotswolds and I stopped off every Saturday to buy a couple of bananas to 'fuel up' for the second part of the ride. One of the assistants in there was a lovely, petite girl, with short, dark, curly hair, sparkling eyes and a gorgeous smile, and I went weak at the knees the first time I saw her. I used to wait outside the shop until I could see that she was free to serve me, and I used to spend the couple of hours or so it took me to get there, rehearsing the chat -up lines which would win her over. I used to work myself in to a real 'high' by the time I got there, racing pulse and dry mouth, the works. Needless to say,as soon as I walked in to the shop my bravado evaporated and I would just mumble 'hallo', and state the amount of bananas I wanted. The silly thing was, I could sense there was an attraction on her side as well, but I was too bashful to do anything about it, and in those days girls, generally, waited to be asked. I used to finish my ride, completely deflated, swearing to myself that I would do it the following week, but never did.

I can still see her in my mind's eye, and ,now and then, wonder what became of her.
  • The only mystery to my Valentine's Day was the unanswered question

where on EARTH did all my cards get to?

I'm still looking out for postie who didn't arrive y'day. He probasbly forgot where I live and took them all back to the depot.
  • [quote=dora]where on EARTH did all my cards get to?[/quote]

They could all be waiting at the Erewash comp address, dora.

Shouldn't rush over specially, though. ;)
  • :)

Funny, just as I read your post the Postman rang the bell and there's me thinking OOOOH!

(why? I dunno)

The parcel was not for me :(

Will be off to Parklands next week, S&M.
  • [quote=snailmale]wonder what became of her.[/quote]

I so wish she would turn out to be a member of talkback.

[quote=dora]Will be off to Parklands next week, S&M.[/quote]

Enjoy your S&M, Dora.
  • [quote=ana s]Enjoy your S&M, Dora.[/quote]

:rolleyes:
    *freezes*
  • [quote=Stan2]cur violins....[/quote]

Some typos are actually funny!

This is one for Lola.
  • I remember when I was young and lovely. This young man came cycling to the garage where I used to work and buy bananas, he was sooo bashfull and I'm sure he was a nice boy but seem'd to have trouble with his knees.... I've often wondered what he is doing now....
  • [quote=Tiny Nell]I think I am often too friendly. I do tend to attract all sorts. My husband tells me I smile too much at strange people.*grins*[/quote]
    [quote=Baggy Books]Me too.[/quote]
    Me three. Never had a secret Valentine but have had unwanted attention thrust my way in past times. Nothing quite as strange or frightening as Tiny Nell or Baggy, thank goodness. And yes, I agree that smiling too much at strangers does tend to tie in with that.
    [quote=Maro] I myself have never made any effort to be over-friendly towards anyone.[/quote]
    At least you don't attract weirdos, Maro. (Talkback company excepted, of course)
  • Valentine's Day caused me huge problems. I was in absolute agony after carrying all my cards into the house because the UPS driver just dumped them on the drive. My arms were already aching from writing them out the day before.
  • And then there's the trip with them to the recycling centre yfc54.
  • [quote=Maro]I remember when I was young and lovely. This young man came cycling to the garage where I used to work and buy bananas, he was sooo bashfull and I'm sure he was a nice boy but seem'd to have trouble with his knees.... I've often wondered what he is doing now....[/quote]

You must be knockin' on 80, now then Maro. ;)
  • Touche, snailmale. Just about controlling the laughter here. Trust me. :D:
  • [quote=Maro]And then there's the trip with them to the recycling centre yfc54[/quote]

I get so many they send a wagon to my house
  • Stan2 wrote: cur violins....

Some typos are actually funny!

Oh!!!!!!!!!!!!!