Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Would you say...

... "keep shtum" or "keep schtum" with the c?

Comments

• Sorry, can't find it in my dictionary - try Google
  • As far as I can find out, either spelling seems to be acceptable, although like all these type of things, whichever one you use, someone is bound to say it's wrong. Personally I would go with the second spelling, with the 'c'.
  • Thanks. My instinct said use a "c". Google comes up with results for both, but if I type in "shtum" it says, "Did you mean schtum?" So Google seems to think it's with a "c", even though most the results show up without it. Aargh.
  • Yes indeed, that's exactly the result I got when I did the same.
  • OED: shtum, (also schtum), informal: non-communicative - 'he kept shtum about...'
    Verbs shtumms, shtumming, shtummed: be or become quiet and uncommunicative -' just when it's getting interesting you shtum up'.
    origin 1950s, Yiddish from German stumm

I wouldn't have used the c - never seen it spelt with one.
  • Oops, sorry to disagree, Mrs B. I used this in my novel, and spelt it schtumm. But that's not to say it's right.
  • It's presumably one of those words where either version is applicable...
  • [quote=Tristram_Shandy] "keep schtum" [/quote]

I think I use this one. I have no idea why. Going to check Dictionary of Slang now...

*watches this space*

Cannot find it in any of my reference books, but anyway, that's how I spell it.
  • Thanks, all. I guess it's one of those either way words.