Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Evening Course in London/ Herts

edited March 2013 in - Writing Problems
Hi,

I'm looking for a face to face type writing course, and I was wondering if anyone'd had some particularly good (or bad) experiences. I live in Herts, but work in London, so either of those two areas would suit me. I've been writing uneducated for a few months now, and I'm looking for structures and techniques to provide a good platform. I think I have a decent grasp of English and words, but would like to know what I should be looking for.

Thanks

Delvey

Comments

• Well there's no guarantee that the sort of courses you want will be available.

You could try looking for a University that has facillities they hire out for writing related courses and workshops.

Have a look in WF, they have some listed but may not be in the location you want.

And of course, look at the Writing Events section on Writers Online here- you'll see it at the top of the screen beside where it says Talkback.

Try googling writing courses in London etc.

Once you find what is available, you will probably find a contact e-mail address, or phone number, even a website that will have more details.
    You want a course tutor with experience obviously, so if a course leaders name is given you can obviously look up their publishing credentials.

Cost may be an issue if you need to do extra travel, and times of course.
  • Is Finchley near to you, Delvey?

http://greenacrewriters.blogspot.co.uk/ The Greenacre Writers may know of a suitable course.

Have you tried this one - http://www.meetup.com/londonwriterscafe/

All I can suggest is you ask local writing groups if they know of anything of the type you're looking for.

Good luck.
  • Thanks to you both

Finchley isn't that near me; I live in Bishop's Stortford, and work near Carnaby Street Soho, so I've looking in those two broad areas as it should mean I can be flexible-ish with times etc.

I've had a bit of a Google and found a few, but it's hard to tell which ones are good and which ones are not all that. Looking up the tutor makes sense, although a great writer isn't always a great teacher. Getting in contact with a writing group is a great idea - I was looking to join one, but my local one (the only one I can find) seems to have a very different demographics and taste to me....

If only I lived near Warwick...China Mieville teaches there. I would probably never leave.
  • It partly depends on what level you are at.
    Many of the writing courses on offer are described as e.g. beginner or intermediate but are then not clear what that means.
    I attended a short course at City Lit in Holborn a few years ago that was quite good - it gave some useful pointers that i hadn't even thought to think about - but also gave the experience of being on a course and sharing work which was very useful.
    The tutor was a published writer I'd never heard of but that didn't really matter - I think if you were doing an MA or something higher level then it would be more important.
  • I've done classes at City Lit and The Mary Ward Centre in Queens Square, Bloomsbury. I would recommend either of them, both taught me a lot and they do use published writers as tutors.
    Good Luck.