Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Publishing e-book help, please

edited March 2013 in - Talkback Help Pages
My husband has just completed and is ready for publishing The Little Book Of Graffiti, which I have compiled over the last couple of years and we'd like to have a week or so when it can be downloaded free, but he says he'd welcome advice on how to choose that option.

Comments

• Where are you going to put it online, smashwords, Amazon Kindle, or elsewhere? Each platform has different methods for letting you set the price. Usually you can change the pricing according to your strategy.

Have you also looked at the other threads on publishing online on here, eg TBer's Books on Kindle, My Book Up On Smashwords and I think there are others too.

Good luck. I'm sure lots of TBers will be happy to share their knowledge.
  • Thanks. It is uploaded to Amazon Kindle at the moment and all we need is to know how to set the price to free, as a starter, as we cannot find the option. Will take your advice and do a search on this Forum.
  • Post a link so we can download it and support you?
  • We already have my book, The Find, on Amazon Kindle and Smashwords, particularly as there are no more printed copies available and the printers have gone out of business. In fact, I have recently bought two second hand copies on Amazon, in order to give them as presents! Although it is good to have a printed book in one's hands to read, there's also a lot to be said about reading a book on a Kindle or a computer.
  • When your husband signs in, he should find a box marked 'Actions' under the listing of his book. If he clicks on that and takes the option 'Manage promotions', all should become clear.
  • http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Find-ebook/dp/B004RK0R1Q/ref=sr_1_7?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1364070957&sr=1-7

It looks a powerful and moving story, Verica.
  • For the option to give your book away on Amazon you need to sign up for kdp select which means you need to be exclusive to Amazon (for 90 days at least)

I don't think you're registered with select.
  • [quote=Phots Moll]you need to sign up for kdp select [/quote]

You've then got 5 days when you can list your book as free. Have a look at Sally J's post for lots more advice.
  • Verica, I took a look at your book: The Find, using Baggy's link and it sounded so interesting I bought it.
  • I made my first eBook, http://www.amazon.co.uk/Anyone-Murder-Other-Stories-ebook/dp/B00AW28FOE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364129909&sr=8-1, free for a couple of days last month and was very taken aback to receive an irate message from someone who'd already bought it. Why, he asked, hadn't he been told that he only had to wait a few weeks and could have downloaded it for nothing etc. etc. etc.

He went on to say that, although he'd enjoyed the stories very much and would like to read my second collection, http://www.amazon.co.uk/Had-But-World-Enough-ebook/dp/B00BKPRB9C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1364129909&sr=8-2 as well, he had no intention of lashing out another 81p unnecessarily in case he was 'diddled' again.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?
  • [quote=montholon] no intention of lashing out another 81p [/quote]

Shocking! He should be named and shamed and prevented from downloading any book less than £26.90.
  • [quote=montholon]another 81p unnecessarily in case he was 'diddled' again.[/quote]

Crikey. A small packet of radishes cost more than that in my local greengrocer. How mean can people be?
  • That person is just plain ignorant.