Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Help needed to post a document to Facebook and Twitter

edited May 2013 in - Writing Problems
Can anyone advise me how to post a flyer to Facebook and Twitter, please? It's currently an rtf doc but I could make it a PDF file.

Comments

• I'd be interested in this too.
    Especially best size for pictures...
  • Have you got dropbox? I think that would make it easy...
  • It would be easier if you could make it into a .gif then you could just add photo.
  • [quote=Carol]Especially best size for pictures...[/quote]

facebook re-sizes the pictures when you add them.
  • On facebook you simply click on "Add Photos/Video" at the top of your page.
    Then click on "upload photos/video
    Then find the file on you pc and click ok.
  • Or just pick the photo up and drop it in the comment box. It's easy on Facebook... Twitter it would need to be a link though.

If you use photobucket, why not upload the flyer there as a jepg and post the link in Twitter that way?
  • [quote=jimholmes6]On facebook you simply click on "Add Photos/Video" at the top of your page.
    Then click on "upload photos/video
    Then find the file on you pc and click ok. [/quote]

Last time I tried that, the photo just came up large, didn't resize it at all. So assumed I needed to do something myself.
  • [quote=Carol]Last time I tried that, the photo just came up large, didn't resize it at all. So assumed I needed to do something myself.[/quote]

Normally works for me Carol, you can resize first in paint or most picture viewers by clicking on edit

[quote=Liz]Or just pick the photo up and drop it in the comment box. It's easy on Facebook..[/quote]

Good tip Liz, I didn't know that!
  • [quote=jimholmes6]Liz wrote: Or just pick the photo up and drop it in the comment box. It's easy on Facebook.. [/quote]

Don't think everyone has that facility to do it that way, Liz.

I know I can't.
  • But you could copy and paste it?
  • [quote=jimholmes6]On facebook you simply click on "Add Photos/Video" at the top of your page.[/quote]

It's not a photo. It's a document.
  • [quote=dora]It's not a photo. It's a document.[/quote]

Right click, copy, right click, paste?
  • Carol, do you work in Microsoft Office or MAC?

If in MS Office, you should have either

Microsoft Picture Manager, in which case,

Right-click on your image to bring up the little menu window.

Select "Open with Microsoft Picture Manager"

When it is opened, select "Edit" on menu on right hand side, or in ribbon running across the top. Within "Edit", choose "Compress" and then the radio button for "Web pages"

Save As (give it a different name. I usually use Image_web so I keep the original image in the big size for future reformatting).

Now, when you upload to Facebook, when you do Browse> and go into Pictures to select image, select the image you have just compressed. It will load faster and be small and neat but not lose its quality.

If you don't have Microsoft Picture Manager, you should be able to right click on the image in the same way and open it in Microsoft Word 2010 (is what I have) and it will bring it up and if you click ON the image, a tab in the top ribbon will light up red. "Picture Tools". Click on that and you should be able to follow a similar procedure to compress your image.

Can't help you for MAC, sorry.
  • [quote=Carol]Especially best size for pictures... [/quote]

To load onto a web site is 200kB or fewer. This will ensure your image loads instantly but looks reasonably clear and sharp.

Never upload Megabytes. They take forever to download and are a real pain.

:)
  • [quote=Lizy]Right click, copy, right click, paste?
    [/quote]

What does this mean?
  • pbwpbw
    edited May 2013
    [quote=dora]Lizy wrote: Right click, copy, right click, paste?
    [/quote] [quote=dora]What does this mean? [/quote]

When you right click with your mouse, it brings up a little menu and you can choose "copy" or "paste".

It's a two step process, a bit like taking a photocopy, leaving the original and using the photocopy elsewhere, so...

Step1: Right click ON your image, select "Copy" and click again.

Step 2: Go to the destination where you want your image to be, left click your mouse in the space (the fb post or the document page, or wherever you want it to go) which puts your cursor where you want it to be, and THEN right click your mouse and select "Paste" and it should paste it where you wanted.

Remember to "Save" the document or you might have to do it all again!
  • [quote=pbw]Carol, do you work in Microsoft Office or MAC?[/quote]

I have Microsoft Office.

I've loaded pictures to FB when I set up my account with no problem, but the next time I went to do it, everything was just large. So I assumed they had changed something...

I use Word 2007.

But I will look and see if I have picture manager too.
    Thanks for that info and instructions. :)
  • If it's just text, why not use a "note" on Facebook? You can then set whether it's public, private or whether just your friends can see it. The text can't be all that elaborate but you can use bold and italics, etc.

In case you've not used notes before, you need to go to your own timeline (click on your name in the top right-hand corner). On the tabs that run across the screen under your cover photo (Timeline, About, Friends, etc...), move the cursor over the "More" tab to get a drop-down menu, and then click "Notes". That gives you an "Add Note" button, and off you go. At the bottom of that screen, there is the option to add a photo to the note and tag people, and also set the privacy, which determines who sees the note.

Twitter doesn't have an equivalent of that, but if your note is set to public, you'd be able to tweet the link to the note and people could see it even if they weren't friends with you.
  • [quote=Liz]Twitter it would need to be a link though. [/quote]

I just add mine direct from my PC.
  • [quote=dora]It's not a photo. It's a document. [/quote]

But if you can save it as a jpeg or a gif then it is the equivalent of a photo.
  • Files can easily be added to groups, but I can't see how to add one to a personal page.
  • Would it be good enough to just post a link to where you have the document on a blog or website?
  • The copy and pasting thingy doesn't work from an ADobe doc to a blogger post (I'm trying that now seeing as I can't copy and paste from my wordprocessor to the Weebly.)

Going down the road of trying to convert the ADbobe file to whatever it was said early by Jim Jpeg or summat.
  • [quote=jimholmes6]It would be easier if you could make it into a .gif then you could just add photo.
    [/quote]

Any ideas anyone how I do this - change an Adobe file to a .gif?
  • I have found on the scan thingy I can scan it as a Jpeg doc then save it as a Jpeg doc

Seems a bit long winded but might work.
  • Well... if the worst comes to the worst send it to me and I can jpeg it and put it on Facebook and then you could 'share' it. Or send you the jpeg and you can drop it on the Facebook comment box.

I don't understand why this is so difficult for PC users - how do others do it?
  • It's difficult for me Liz because I have no idea what on earth I am doing. I really don't.

I don't like having to faff around with computers and never have, even though I used to teach individual packages in spreadsheets, database and wordprocessing (and loved that!!!!) I can't stand having to search for this and search for that. I just want to get on with the job in hand not sit here for hours finding out about how a computer works.

Thanks for your offer and I may still take you up on it, but what I am trying to do now is produce all the winning stories straight onto the weebly site.

So far, I have managed to put Dan's judge's report on after scanning it again and making it inot a Jpeg file instead of PDF (hurray for me)

Just doing it now with the other stories.

then off into the garden to reward me self with a cuppa and some sushine.
  • edited May 2013
    Tell you what Liz I will send you the winning story see if you can Jpeg that one please?

edited to say I will send the other two over in a minute, just have to get outside for ten mins, this is so irritating.
  • [quote=Carol]But I will look and see if I have picture manager too.[/quote]

You should have Microsoft Picture Manager. OMG, whatever people say about MS, that app is a BOON. It is so easy to use!
  • dora, I feel for you.

It's all another world of mystery and magic to me.
  • Thanks TN.

I posted one doc then left it.

Too bigga job for likkle me all in one day.
  • Hi dora, just another way of making a PDf, instead of scanning it and making one, you can go to the print menu on Word and down the bottom it should say, save as a PDf. Click that and you have a PDf version of your Word doc. to send people.
  • Hmmm

Don't have Word.

But I'll see if I can do that.

THanks again for your yelp.