Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Has my story been told before?

edited May 2013 in - Writing Problems
Evening Everyone (any evening sunshine anywhere?)

I have an idea for a story. It's one that has been nagging at me for some years so it feels very familiar to me. I do worry that surely someone has thought of this before - the idea seems so obvious. How does everyone handle this? Should I just go ahead and write it? Is it OK even if the basic concept or idea has been used before but your own storytelling and back story is quite unique?

Many thanks
Lois

Comments

• It's said that there are only seven different stories (although I'm not entirely sure I agree)

It's very likely that someone somewhere has told a story that has some similarities to yours but I shouldn't let that worry you.

[quote=Lois] Should I just go ahead and write it?[/quote]
    Yes.

[quote=Lois]Is it OK even if the basic concept or idea has been used before but your own storytelling and back story is quite unique? [/quote]
    Yes.
  • Thank you Phots, just the reassurance I needed. I can't not write it to be honest! I've just made a start and I'm gathering up quite some momentum. The story is bursting to get out lol. The day job does get in the way though.
  • [quote=Lois] Should I just go ahead and write it? Is it OK even if the basic concept or idea has been used before but your own storytelling and back story is quite unique? [/quote]

Yes, you should. Nobody will have told it your way, in your voice. Jump right in.
  • Your characters will tell the story in their own unique way.
  • Go ahead, Lois. All stories have been told before, one way or another. Good luck.
  • Go for it, and do it in a way that no one else can - your way!
  • Everything's been told before, if you think about it: but not in your voice, and with the twists you put on it.
  • Hasn't Romeo and Juliet inspired numerous different stories over the ages? No reason at all why you shouldn't be influenced by an old story, just as long as you're careful not to make it too similar to a story still in copyright.
  • I'm glad to hear you've started telling your story, Lois. It will be your own unique take on the concept and it doesn't matter at all whether anyone else has written something close or not. In fact I'm reading "Into The Woods", subtitled "A Five Act Journey Into Story" by John Yorke, who's been head of drama on just about every TV channel as well as setting up the BBC's Writers' Academy, and he shows in his book how all (ALL) stories follow the same structural pattern. He explains it as the reason for story telling itself, which is to meet certain human needs, for setting off into the unknown, for example, battling against obstacles and finding your way back home again having achieved your goal.
    So join the club, Lois, and write yet another example of the same story type.
    Good luck and enjoy.
  • [quote=Lois]Should I just go ahead and write it?[/quote]

Yes. Do it! Most stories are a rehash of familiar themes (as Phots Moll says, there are only supposed to be seven basic stories). What counts is the way you tell it.
  • Reading this post, reminded me that whenever I've been to a writing workshop and we've been given the same scenario to write to, the results were always different. So, Lois, go ahead and put your own interpretation on your idea.