Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

DC Thomson contracts.

Have you had a new contract - and will you sign one?

http://womagwriter.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/dc-thomson-contracts.html

http://womagwriter.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/dc-thomson-contracts-response.html

Comments

• edited May 2013
    I've just been blogging about it as a follow up to my post the other day.

And I certainly wouldn't sign that contract...

By signing the writer is giving too much control of the use of their work to DC Thomson.

And saying it's not a rights grab is bunk!
  • It has certainly ruffled feather on Womags blog.
  • I think I would be tempted to sign because there are so few short story markets.
    Is everybody going to shout at me know for being a traitor?!
  • [quote=sallyj]Is everybody going to shout at me know for being a traitor?![/quote] Not shout, no.

Unless everyone refuses to sign DCT aren't going to take notice and some have signed already and more will do so. They get so many subs they won't be worried if the numbers drop a bit.
  • [quote=sallyj]Is everybody going to shout at me know for being a traitor?![/quote]

Of course not, Sally.

Every writer has to decide for themselves, and how each writer feels this new contract will effect them if they agree is going to an individual situation.

What is worrying, that if this contract goes ahead as it was the other day, you can be sure other magazine publishers will try it.

The new contract was going to apply to all the DCT magazines and newspapers, so it will also apply to non-fiction too.
  • Go ahead Sally. As Carol says, it's an individual decision. You can't run your own writer's life worrying about what other writers will think.

For my part, they've never liked any of my submissions anyway, so I don't have to have any niggles about trying harder with them. I can cross them off my "Submissions" list. Phew.
  • Just as I was at a stage to try submissions to My Weekly they went to their only accepting stories from previously accepted writers.
    But a week or two ago I was considering submitting to The Weekly News in the near future. But I won't now.
  • I'm going to keep submitting until I get one of the new contracts.
  • From what I read earlier, someone said the contract is sent out after you've next submitted.
  • Just been reading the latest responses from Shirley Blair on Womag's blog.
  • And .....?

What's the latest then Carol?
  • edited May 2013
    I've been to read them Carol

I see a couple have been verging on the offensive. How very civil.

Perhaps if they didn't sign themselves as anonymous, or at least put their name to it if they can't sign in automatically, it would help.
  • Well there's a few writers who will not be subbing to or buying any DCT products in future.

Mutley's question re royalties on pocket novels was answered but sidestepped- which considering DCT are low payers, I suspect means their royalties will be lower than Kindle, and saying the author can still produce their original version (even though there may be DCT's version around at the same time) is not reassuring.

Some one has claimed that a writer who has received the contract has sent it to the Society of Authors and been told not to submit, likewise the NUJ- but obviously we only have this second hand...

It comes down to accept the new terms and sign the contract, or they won't publish your stories...
  • They don't publish mine anyway lol :D
  • The next six months will be interesting.

I've no grouse with any writer who signs the contract- I hope they will have considered all the implications of the terms and are happy to accept them.
  • There's more info on Simon Whaley's blog which further clarifies things. http://simonwhaleytutor.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/dc-thomson-me-society-of-authors-and-dc.html

[quote=Carol]I've no grouse with any writer who signs the contract- I hope they will have considered all the implications of the terms and are happy to accept them.[/quote] Quite. People have to make up their own minds on this issue (as with most things).

What worries me most is them retaining the right to republish anywhere, in any format at any time (and for no extra pay). In thirty years time we might have very different outlooks on life and be in a very different position to now and having one or more of our stories republished might possibly cause embarrassment or worse.

It's unusual to have a contract where the buyer retains rights for ever. With most there's a time period involved but not in this case.
  • [quote=Phots Moll]What worries me most is them retaining the right to republish anywhere, in any format at any time (and for no extra pay)[/quote]

Quite so. It's a huge loss of control. Mind you, once it's out on the net, you have lost it anyway, but I think to lose it "officially" and not have at least nominal copyright protection, is a step too far. I think I would rather publish under a Creative Commons Licence than lose control to the extent of this contract.
  • That's my concerns too PM.

If they had a fixed time period in which it could be reused, while it wouldn't be good, it wouldn't be as bad as it is now.
  • Very helpful post by Simon Whaley, though doesn't change my view on subbing to DCT magazines.

Off to read Womag and Sally Quilford's latest posts.
  • My thoughts exactly.

I have sold to other places that take quite a few rights, but they've always had an end-date, so at least you know when you will get your story 'back'.

I don't think I'll be signing. I rarely sub them anything till most other places have seen it anyway, as their pay is so low, and I don't sell them much, so it doesn't make much difference to me either way.

There is no harm in signing and then only sending them stories you are happy to lose control over, apart from the message that sends, of course, and I don't think they're listening to messages anyway.

It's the principle that gets me - they can do what they like as the writers have no choice but to like it or lump it. But I suppose that's nothing new in the publishing industry.
  • [quote=heather]There is no harm in signing and then only sending them stories you are happy to lose control over[/quote]

I think that is something that will happen more and more.