Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

A question about jobs

Hello,
I am inspiring to work in publishing in the editor department.
What I am curious about is whether I need a degree or not, I know to be the most sophisticated employee it would appear more... appealing shall I say.
I have an A-Level in English, but my GCSE grade as appalling (Lets say I didn't revise and I wasn't encouraged) so with these alone I would not stand a chance in this big wide world.
Another question is about the EU option, where I can have a year at University to study at a designated University else where other than the UK. This seems as though it would widen my choice if I chose to ever work as an English teacher in another part of the UK. This could also give me to opportunity to meet other potential writers and widen my contacts.
I just would love to receive some support to what pathway I should follow to perhaps join such a career.

Thank you for reading.

Comments

• Hi anniistar.

I would imagine that you would need a very high standard of English to become an editor. After all, you'd need to spot mistakes in the work of writers who, themselves, may be highly qualified. One of the first things that jumped out at me was a mistake in your opening sentence; you'd have to be spot on in an application to an editing job. I think what you meant is that you're 'aspiring' to work in publishing... Whether it would be a degree that you need or an editing course, I'm afraid I don't know. There are people here on TB that will know more about it. To be honest, a degree is useful in lots of jobs nowadays. The more qualifications you have, the better. I've heard that where jobs used to be given to those with just GCSEs, there is now so much choice among the candidates looking for work that they can now offer those jobs to those with A levels, and the same goes for those with degrees being offered the jobs that would have gone to those with just A levels a few years back. Unfortunately, taking a degree costs money. A lot of money!

When you say you are considering becoming an English teacher, do you mean teaching in schools or teaching as a foreign language? To become a teacher, you would need a degree. To teach English to those to whom it would be a second language I think you'd just need to take a TEFL course (Teaching English as a Foreign Language). I don't know that studying at an EU university would necessarily enable you to meet other writers, unless you were to embark upon a writing course, but it would give you an interesting experience to add to your CV.

I think, for now, what you should try and do is get as much writing experience as possible. Perhaps help a writer friend with proof-reading. Any sort of experience like that will show that you're dedicated.

Good luck!
  • Ah, hubby just told me you can do teaching now with an NVQ.
  • [quote=Tiny Nell]Perhaps help a writer friend with proof-reading. [/quote]

Or perhaps

ask

a writer friend to help with proof-reading.

[quote=anniistar] in the editor department.[/quote]

!
  • This is a spoof, right?
  • pbwpbw
    edited August 2013
    Re dora's comment below, it could be, so I've edited mine, but it does seem a bit strange.
  • I think it's a genuine post.

The world is a big place.
  • I read it as genuine.
  • Fair enough.
  • Well they don't appear to have come back to find out if anyone could tell them...
  • It's not a private thread. They can see from

*glances over shoulder, lowers voice to a whisper, leans closers to screen*

The Out Side.
  • *gulps and covers up*
  • [quote=dora]The Out Side.[/quote]

Oh, Dora that's just a myth. There is no outside.
  • [quote=anniistar]I am inspiring to work in publishing in the editor department.[/quote]

If you want to get noticed and get your foot in the door, I would advise taking a degree course. Newspapers, magazines and publishers demand high-calibre candidates, and especially those who can demonstrate their talents in this field. It's not easy and it's hard work, but like any profession it takes dedication.