Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Self Publishing Advice Required.

edited November 2013 in - Writing Problems
I'm aware that many of you indulge in this apparently stressful pastime, although I have so far avoided it because of my Luddite tendencies, combined with the technical talents of a retarded goldfish. However, I've realised that the only way I'm going to get my (short story)stuff out there is the DIY route. I now have over a dozen published/shortlisted works as a basis and probably as many again on my slush pile that would probably make the grade with a bit of TLC. This would add up to between 40/50k without taking in to account any new stuff. What I want to know is, is this enough for a viable publication and worth hurting my brain over?
Ta.

Comments

• Yes and yes!

I look forward to reading it - seriously.
  • Absolutely!

Lots of people get away with selling a single story.

Go for it!
  • Snailmale - are you talking print or e-book self-publishing?
    If you're thinking e-book then I'd say you've probably got two books worth there. The beauty of e-books is that they don't need to be novel length, as long as you price them appropriately.
    Why not have a look at some of the short story collections available on Amazon?
  • Take a look at the Smashwords blog here:
    http://blog.smashwords.com/
    There's lots of useful information about ebook publishing on there. Then take a deep breath and go for it
  • Ditto BB.
  • You have everything to gain. Go for it.

You've passed the quality test with half your stuff already having been previously published. One suggestion though: think of a theme that ties your work together and wraps it neatly into one package; publishing is one thing but marketing the book is another. You'll want to be able to sum the project up in one sentence. Imagine you're on the BBC breakfast sofa explaining...
  • For our short story collections we work to 40 - 45K words - it makes a good size for a book.
  • [quote=Baggy Books]I look forward to reading it - seriously.
    [/quote]

Absolutely. Your work is enjoyed by many.

Get it out there to a wider audience.
  • Thanks for the advice, and also for the encouragement. I think I probably ought to give this a go and have decided to make this my main project for 2014. Need to start getting my head round all the practical problems involved, apart from the actual writing, but it gives me an excuse to pigeonhole my novel for another 12 months. ;)

@sallyj. Has to be an e-book, I'm sure, probably couldn't afford a print book, much as I'd like it
  • Good Luck with your project and for 2014.
  • Thanks casey. Looks like I might be lumbered with picking up on my novel again, as well. And I've got Dad's WWI stuff to sort out.
  • That was my project for 2013, snailmale, and I'm very happy with the results. I began with one e-book, added two more and then combined them into an omnibus edition. The final step was to bring out the paperback version. Take a look and/or contact me through my website if you'd like to know more. www.maggiecobbett.co.uk
  • Great advice from everyone - we all learn from threads like this - thank you
  • I didn't know when I commented before that my short story collections would be featured in the new issue of WM/WN. You'll find the piece on page 14 of WN and I hope that my experience of self publishing will encourage you to have a go.
  • Have a go. I have self-published twice through Amazon. Following the template and reading all the notes is slow, but only for the first time. And you can do it in stages by saving what you have completed and coming back to it another day. Also I have just finished getting the paperback version done through Create Space. This is also slow as I read everything it tells you to do twice, but then the paperback appeared against my name and it was good to see. Plus it costs nothing, unless you have to pay to have a book cover made for you.
    Good luck and let us know how you get on.
  • Thanks to all the advice on TB I have been formatting my novel for Kindle. Self-publishing is definitely the way to go.
    Good luck SM
  • I've been reconsidering what I intend to do with my novella when it is finished.

And I have to say self-publishing is beginning to look much more attractive...
  • There's nothing wrong with self-publishing. It would be a daft writer not to take advantage of these fantastic innovations and opportunities.

Some writers can attack the challenge of formatting, cover design and marketing etc and others are happy to pay for someone else to do those tasks - nothing wrong with that either.
  • I'll be self publishing the Regency novel for the simple reason that I can't afford to wait for the whole process of trying to find a publisher. I need it to earn its keep now.
  • I want to be able to produce work that's good and complete, not rushed because the contract has deadlines that wouldn't necessarily be realistic for the story, or my circumstances.

I know it will be a lot of work, but I don't want to end up having to put out work I'm not completely happy with.
  • I want to be able to produce work that's good and complete, not rushed because the contract has deadlines that wouldn't necessarily be realistic for the story, or my circumstances.
    I can't tell you how many self-publishing clients have ridiculous deadlines...website's being launched...I HAVE to have it finished by...I'm going on holiday and...deadlines are crazy even when the book's being self-published.
  • Yes, go for it SM.