Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Dialogue breaks.

edited March 2016 in - Writing Problems
I know the general rules of dialogue: new line for every speaker, single speech marks, natural speech, etc. But I have trouble with the bits in between, or rather, where to put them, when the same speaker is talking. For example:

'Exactly!' I exploded. 'I know the job, I know the team.' I paced the office furiously, barely controlling the urge to kick things out of my way. 'I'd be perfect for this job, and you know it!'

Do I start a new line for the action in between? Or keep the action on the same line, then start a new line when the speaker continues to speak? I've had a look in some of my books, and it seems to be a mixed bag. I don't know what the 'correct' approach to this is.

Comments

• I could be wrong but my understanding is when the action is linked to the speaker keep it in the same paragraph.
  • I answered my own question while looking at notes I had written. You're right, they're called 'dialogue beats', and should be kept on the same line.
  • 'Exactly!' I exploded. 'I know the job, I know the team.' I paced the office furiously, barely controlling the urge to kick things out of my way. 'I'd be perfect for this job, and you know it!'
    That's the right way to do it, Shona.
  • Brilliant, that's the way I've got it, so I'll keep it and remember for future reference :)