Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Volunteer copywriter/editor \ghost writer needed for an non-fiction book . Self published book

edited June 2016 in Writing
Volunteer copywriter/editor \ghost writer needed for an non-fiction book . Self published .This is a good opportunity If you want to improve your CV , portfolio ,references and work experience .A great opportunity for gaining new skills or enhancing current skills,opportunity for personal promotion with a world wide project .

Person Specification:
Excellent writing skills in a range of communications
Highly literate
Creative flair and originality
Ability to multitask and meet deadlines.

Please note that this is an unpaid voluntary role.
Tagged:

Comments

• Welcome, gianib.

I'm not sure it would be fair to paying clients to work on the project for free. But can you share more info about it?
  • Is this a charitable venture?
    If not, I'm not sure why someone with all those skills would want to work for free. 'Exposure' is rarely all it's cracked up to be and is not acceptable as currency anywhere I have ever shopped.
  • This is a good opportunity If you want to improve your CV...
    Being paid to do professional work looks much more impressive on a CV...just saying.
  • So who gets the money from any sales when it's eventually published?
  • You might try the Alliance of Independent Authors. They have a database of professionals: ghost-writers, editors, copy-editors, proofreaders. You would need to pay for their skills. They all have impressive CVs and have been vetted.

The Alliance champions self-publishing.

Alliance of Independent Authors

As Carol has suggested, there should be an income from the project. Paying professionals to do the work seems to be the fairest way forward.
  • You're asking for someone to give you a huge chunk of their time and effort here, gianib - yet you expect them to do so for free. You sell this as a win-win for the highly literate, creative person who volunteers, but give no information about the worldwide project itself to back that up.
    Frankly, you're not impressing me so far.
  • Some people might well be prepared to work for free on a worthwhile charitable project, or on something very prestigious which could gain them publicity - but you've not provided enough information for them to judge if that's the case.

What type of non-fiction book? The subject matter is likely to influence people's decision too.

I'm a bit confused by 'A great opportunity for gaining new skills or enhancing current skills' does that mean you don't need people who can actually write and/or edit and they'll be taught to do these things?

If the person is already an excellent writer and 'Highly literate' then which new skills will they gain?

Self published? By whom?
  • You are all circumspectly polite.

I think someone's taking liberties.
  • This is a good opportunity If you want to improve your CV...
    Being paid to do professional work looks much more impressive on a CV...just saying.
  • Ghost writer? So, it's not written yet?

Sounds like a huge undertaking!

Why is it unpaid?
  • Guys, we have competition:

https://www.gumtree.com/sellerads/1175025182?page=1

Gumtree are all over it. And worse, it's just a copy and paste job. They didn't want 'us'. :(
  • Do you think we should flag the thread?
  • Volunteer chef needed to create a pressed meat from chopped pork and ham that may be served in a tin.
  • Do you think we should flag the thread?
    And spoil the fun? I'd like to hope they will return and answer our questions.
  • Looking at those ads in the link, it appears that they want volunteers for all sorts of things.
    I might advertise there myself as I'd like volunteers to cook the dinner and clear up, do the washing and ironing, and finish writing my book. The experience will be great for the applicants' CVs.
  • Looking at those ads in the link, it appears that they want volunteers for all sorts of things.
    I might advertise there myself as I'd like volunteers to cook the dinner and clear up, do the washing and ironing, and finish writing my book. The experience will be great for the applicants' CVs.
    And a lot more use, too.

Definitely spam.

• I could delete this thread for you, but since you're all dealing with it in your usual inimitable fashion, it's not really necessary is it? :)
  • Good heavens how did I miss this treasure! I am highly literate, but am wondering how they will know if a good job has been done or not?

• We'll run with it, thanks, TAM. :)
  • Oh! I thought I recognised the username as one of us.

Flippin' well wasted a whole week's supply of politeness on this. Worrying as we're visiting the mother-in-law tomorrow. I don't think I should go.
  • Thanks everyone. Just when I was going to pitch in and 'volunteer'! :-((
    P.
  • Noooo! We would have had to get the TB lasso out of Webbo's filing cabinet.

(I always want to put an extra 'o' on lasso)
  • Noooo! We would have had to get the TB lasso out of Webbo's filing cabinet.

(I always want to put an extra 'o' on lasso)
    I always doo.

• Doo yoo?
  • Me too. Oh. Failed.
  • You'd think BaggyBoooooks wouldn't yoooooooo?
  • edited June 2016
    I also decided against deleting this thread! Didn't need to comment as you were already all over it.
    Wonder if gianib will return to learn of her (?) misstep?

I also say lassoo, and always thought that was the only way until quite late in life. Former editor Derek was a fair bit older and I believe he pronounced it lass-O.
    Is there some cultural explanation for our pronunciation? At a guess I'd put it somewhere in the late 60s-70s (Derek's pronunciation, say, would have been established a good 15 years earlier).
    Sorry, have I gone off topic?

EDIT: I've just done a test, Rachel in the WM office, same age as me, doesn't even recognise the word lasso written down and when I mimed it she said, "Oh, is that lassoo?!"
  • I do wish you had a webcam in your office.
  • I think we should all write lassoo from now on. It's about time that word evolved.

Yes, good idea, Baggy! With sound as well.

We'll wait for you to get your spanner, Webbo, and hopefully, by Monday, it will all be in place.

*drags armchair to computer screen*
  • But then we'd all have to get dressed
  • But then we'd all have to get dressed
    Oooer!

:\">
  • That's one lasso trick I do not want to see.
  • A web cam?

Surely it would be a Webbo cam?
  • We can but hope...
  • Just looked it up - apparently it's a borrowing from Spanish American, the word from Spanish lazo, meaning 'tie', before that from Latin Latin 'laqueum', which means noose or snare. Which explains why no extra 'o'. The longer 'o' from Spanish probably upset our ears' hearing of it.
  • Much quieter for a Friday than usual, got my shopping done quicker than usual.

Facebook was not a nice place this morning. :(
  • Fuck off, Huang.

*apologies to other members for my language*
  • I've notified TAM and Webbo that the spammer is back.
  • I wonder if Manchester massage is superior to other types?
  • Huang's post now deleted

• Have to say I prefer Claudia's approach. 

• Thought this was a new thread (goldfish memory) and was affronted (probably for the second time) at the offer of a 'Voluntary' writing role. Whaaaaat?!!!

Ha ha, Claudia! A post-watershed thread.