Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Least likely magazine to be published in

edited September 2016 in - Writing Tales
What's the magazine you think you'd be least likely to be published in? I've just had a short piece published in Dolls House and Miniature Scene magazine, even though I'm not into doll houses. When I pitched the idea to the editor it was only a punt, so I was surprised to get a response saying it was a fantastic idea.

Comments

• Haha - well done!!
  • Congratulations, DB.
    What's the magazine you think you'd be least likely to be published in?

WM 8-|
  • Brilliant!

What's it about?
  • Congratulations DB.
  • What's the magazine you think you'd be least likely to be published in?
    One I don't submit to.
  • What's the magazine you think you'd be least likely to be published in?

Anything glossy, with features for expensive items that require you to be thin, long-legged and can wear red lipstick.
  • Well done DB.

I was going to say a health and fitness mag, but I could always pose for the 'before' picture. :)
  • Brilliant!

What's it about?
    Living and haunted doll houses in fiction - books and TV.
  • Reader's Wives...
  • Hello.

Well done, Dene!
  • Well done, Dene.

BTW the Beatles White Album was originally going to be called 'A Doll's House', artwork was commissioned but ended up as the cover to 'Beatles Ballads' many years later.
  • Ha ha! Did you discuss Among the Dolls by William Sleater? Very creepy book!

I would be least likely to be published in Extreme Sports Magazine.
  • I had a womag story published in 'Yours' Yearbook ten years ago.

It doesn't get more unlikely that that

I still feel embarrassed

• edited September 2016
    Pushbike Maintenance isn't my strong point - should I pitch an idea to them?
  • Reader's Wives...
    Better get yourself married then :-)
  • Ha ha! Did you discuss Among the Dolls by William Sleater? Very creepy book!

I would be least likely to be published in Extreme Sports Magazine.
    I'm not familiar with that book. Will investigate!

• Pushbike Maintenance isn't my strong point - should I pitch an idea to them?
    Why not?! I got a pitch accepted from Practical Boat Owner even though I'm not into boats, was just lucky to find a boat related subject that I didn't require any expert knowledge.
  • Better get yourself married then :-)
    I'll have the sex change first...THEN get married. Get the easier/cheaper thing over and done with first :P
  • Meat Industry News.
  • The People's Friend.
  • The People's Friend.
    Why?
  • Yes Carol why? You must be THE most friendliest person out of all of us talkbackersl
  • The People's Friend.
    Why?
    Yes Carol why? You must be THE most friendliest person out of all of us talkbackersl
    It's more a case of I can't do their rose-tinted glasses feel.

• I used to like reading the stories in the women's magazines, I can't see why they can't publish some stories with a bit more grit, they could still have a happy ending.
  • i'm with Carol. My MIL kept giving me those People's Friend books for Christmas. They used to make me feel sick.
  • edited September 2016
    Thank goodness there are magazines galore out there on the market to cater for all tastes

We live in a privileged society as there are mags we can pick and choose over

• We live in a privileged society, it is very true. And what's more, people seem to be able to afford them - sometimes when I go to London I go to WH Smith at the station to buy a magazine and can't believe how much they cost!
  • Yes they are expensive but you have to have a little treat now and again. Like once a month :)
  • Hmm, I've just had another pitch accepted by the editor of Dolls House and Miniature Scene, and have another idea to pitch to him at some point.