Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Erm!

edited April 2017 in Writing
Peoples' Friend person emailed me with the following message today:
'Dear Mr Davies,
thank you for sending the story titled 'Market Day'. Sorry but it is too weak to interest readers.'
Hey! I've never been Mr anyone.

Comments

• Did you reply to let them know their error?

Poor Mr Davies might have put champagne on ice and is poised with the corkscrew...
  • As long as he hasn't got yours...
  • Gosh, and rather a damning report...
  • That's a standard type of reply from them- apparently.
  • I'm married to a Mr Davies - but he's not weak and has no trouble holding my interest.
  • I see competence and manners are scarce in the hallowed corridors of the People's Friend.
  • Perhaps all the names should be redacted. Because he is a writer and might come here. That would be brutal.
  • edited April 2017
    Yes 'tis an amusing inaccuracy!
    My reply to P'sF: Thank you for the message regarding my story. I feel obliged to comment: my name is not Mr Davies.
    Yours etc. P'sF's apologetic response begging me to send another story was immediate! She's given me a line hasn't she?

• Hey Patricia. Look at the positives. Perhaps 'Mister Davies' would make a great pseudonym!
  • Confusion reigns already Paige!
  • Was the title of the story correct or was that Mr Davies' story?
  • edited April 2017
    Hi Lou, 'Market Day' is the title of my story. May I ask: did you receive any royalites for your contribution to the Wyvern series of publications?
  • I don't want to interrupt a reply but can't help saying it reminds me of a publisher who told me, amongst other things, "there are simply not enough readers who are interested in a worthy effort". Publishers can certainly be cutting. Perhaps they realise we writers develop broad shoulders, with all the rejection we get.
  • edited April 2017
    An editor (not pf) once rejected a story saying they didn't see the point of it. It went on to sell twice elsewhere. So there!
    I have had pretty cutting ones from pf too.
  • Hi Patricia - yes I did I think. Not much but it was something!