Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Use of Word 'Scull'.

Has anyone seen the word 'scull' used in British writing to describe downing an ale or drink, as in: 'He sculled his beer'?
It is used widely in Australia; just wondering if it is used enough here for it to be recognised.
Ta.

Comments

• I'd use that word in relation to rowing- oars.

• Agree with Carol - I've never heard of anyone sculling their beer - not even from Aussie friends and family.
  • No - only heard it as a rowing term.
  • Nope. Only know it as a rowing term.

Out of context I'd imagine 'He sculled his beer' meant he inspected it, or was disastisfied with it.
  • Ta, very interesting.

Claudia, if you mention it to Oz friends, they will surely identify with it. It's as popular as the 'barby'. :D
  • I've heard of it in drinking terms.
  • Is it not skol though?
  • edited May 2017
    I've recently heard 'necking a beer'.
  • Schooner is used for sherry glasses.
  • You lot know far too much about drinking.

Disgusted of TB Manor.
  • Is it not skol though?
    I've heard skol used as an alternative to 'cheers', but not skolling.
  • I'm sure you can by a schooner of beer in Australia - meaning a jug for sharing.
    I used to have a wonderful book called 'Let's Talk Strine' which gave all these things.
    I also had The Drinkspotty Book which told one how to speak frightfully upper class English. It's wise to cover all social eventualities.

• When I was in Oz my uncle took me to the RSL where a schooner was about a third of a pint of beer. That's if I remember aright - it was 1990!

On the other hand, you can use almost any word to denote being pissed. I heard a comedian list loads of unlikely words which, in context, worked well. Try it and see.
    She was too handbagged to stand.
    All the lads gor anoracked that night.
    :)
  • Right, Lizy. A schooner is still around; basically another name for (and similar size to) a regular glass. With respect to other contributors, it has never been a jug or sherry glass in Australia, although Britain confers a different usage.

For BR, it's definitely, 'scull' and I have found it in the Australian 'Oxford' with the drinking definition. My dilemma was whether to use the word in a British novel. From this thread it seems as if I'd better drop the word.

Thanks all.
  • PET, my memory dates from a 1979 trip to Australia, so is permitted to be vague. Many things are, after all this time.
  • I have a friend whose father was a director of a Scandinavian Shipping company. In her youth she enjoyed lots of free trips on the company's ships. Consequently she always nowadays says 'skoll' when every one else is saying 'cheers', a term, she says, learned from the Scandinavian sailors. I strongly suspect it wasn't the only thing she learned from them.
  • Yes, I have Swedish friends who use that word as cheers. Not sure how you spell it though!
  • We say 'salud' after all our years in Tenerife.
  • Yes, I have Swedish friends who use that word as cheers. Not sure how you spell it though!
    That's Skål.

• edited May 2017
    Scull, in this part of the world is to pour the beer straight down the throat as opposed to drinking in a civilized manner. Cheers.
  • Yep, precisely. Former Oz prime minister was famed for it. Quite a few good 'scullers' in the Silver Ferns also!!
  • Another Aussie word is Strine. Utterly describes the twang in their speech.
  • Ah, that got me in the mood. Just had 2 Vegemite sandwiches.