Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Things just got a tad scary.

edited May 2017 in Writing
Well.

I've done it, I've clicked on the button and booked a slot to have my story (still a WIP) critiqued/reviewed/trashed by an agent at the forthcoming Bradford Literary Festival.

It's not until early July so I have time to write more. And fret. And panic. And worry. And fret some more.

Although.....first chapter needs to be emailed by late June.

Aah. The pressure.

But, in the meantime, I'm off to buy some slug pellets.

(Makes mental note....when famous writer, be sure to employ someone in the "slug pellet organiser" role)

Comments

• Well done, Kramer.

You'll be fine…
  • Make sure they are animal friendly slug pellets - thrushes and hedgehogs are dying.
  • And, good luck!
  • Well done.

This will always seem scarier than it actually is.
  • Well done Kramer.
    This is something I have pondered doing when there's an opportunity closer to home. Finding an unbiased opinion must be worth the outlay in cash and stress.
  • Best of luck, Kramer!

Knock 'em dead...but not with the slug pellets.
  • I hope you remembered to make a border of Cadbury's buttons around the edges. That should do the trick.

Good luck! %%-
  • Well done! I've done this before at Winchester. It's so useful.
  • edited May 2017
    Well done, Kramer. Do not confuse the book-showing and the slug-pellet-strewing. Agents are so picky about that sort of thing.
  • I've just read in a magazine in the hospital waiting room that to deter slugs one should put sliced cucumber on tin foil around one's plants!
  • Really? How does that work? i know they get electric shocks from copper.
  • Your guess is as good as mine. Or possibly better!
  • Experimenting with fine grit round my seedlings. Slugs don't seem keen.

What was the thread about? Oh yeah. I'm sure the agent will be positively constructive and you can build up good karma by gently deterring your slugs.
  • Slugs have such thick slime from glands under their mouth which dribbles it out for them to slide over they should be fine even over knives, so i'm not convinced about stones, but grit, but I can imagine it would stick to their undersides and make it difficult to slide.
  • Thank you all for your kind and supportive words.

I know that the chances of 'owt coming from the meeting are slim but I am keen to see what a professional agent things of my work. For good or bad, and comments received will be invaluable.

I am lucky enough that an experienced and published author, whom I am delighted to call a friend, had kindly offered to take a look at my WIP and edit it for me. My first chapter has already been polished by the edits suggested.

***On a slug note: I searched my local high street for "animal friendly" slug pellets - we have two dogs - and acquired said "animal friendly" deterrent. My plant pots and baskets are now covered in a layer of what I assume is cat litter.***
  • Lol. I love you for this, Kramer. And hope your manuscript gets fulsome praise.
  • Lol. I love you for this, Kramer. And hope your manuscript gets fulsome praise.

Did I mention my manuscript is a tale about a hard drinking, womanising slug with a penchant for French Fancies.......?
  • I met him once, Kramer!

• Did I mention my manuscript is a tale about a hard drinking, womanising slug with a penchant for French Fancies.......?
    Sounds like you are indulging him well, at least, even if he has questionable taste. But how tricky is it to portray a hermaphrodites coupling with French Fancies?
  • C2C2
    edited May 2017
    where there's will, there's a way :)

All the very best, Kramer.