Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Writing holiday (not course) ideas?

edited June 2017 in Writing
Hi all
So, first post for me but am a WM subscriber and after an online writing course last year I am slowly working on a novel. I have, through change of circumstance, got 7 days leave in August this year in which I'd like to go away for a kind of writing retreat, somewhere European, lovely but peaceful, so that I can hunker down and get on with writing! No procrastination, no distractions, just writing.
My requirements are pretty basic - somewhere interesting with a desk (ideally in front of a window) with a view and within striking distance of an airport for easy enough transfer. Not so hot as to be distracting, though I accept it will be August in Europe!
Would anyone have any ideas? Flights I am fortunate enough to be able to sort fairly easily, it's a place and accommodation I need inspiration for. AirBnB sounds like what I need... but with so many millions of places to choose from I am a bit stumped. So far my ideas are very broad... Barra (Scotland) to Dubrovnik and anywhere inbetween.
I'd be very grateful for any ideas, suggestions or pointers.
Thanks

Comments

• Ireland. Lots of self catering or B&Bs there. Not too far, and there's Guinness!
  • Hi, thanks.. my godmother is in Ireland! Can you help me narrow it down? Where might you suggest I look? I've always been intrigued by the number of islands off the west coast but I know nothing about them!
  • All i know is a small patch of Co Fermanagh where my daughter lives. Claudia on TB lives in Ireland, she might help.
  • Hi, LC14 and welcome to talkback. If you're looking for a comfortable room with a table that can be used as a desk set up overlooking a beautiful view, free WIFI and a delicious breakfast, the junior suite here might suit you: http://caherlodgebantry.com/

• Sounds like you won't go far wrong with that offer.

I have always found going into a totally different environment to the one I live in helps a lot. But nothing to do with air travel for me [-(
  • i like to be at home among all my books. I find anywhere else too stimulating and think abut anything but writing - however when I get back I write loads.
  • Thanks for the thoughts. I am thinking also about Aix-en-Provence, anyone been? Anyone recommend places to write or eat? Long shot I know!
  • I wish!
  • and there's Guinness!
  • edited July 2017
    Coullioure in the Languedoc, on Spanish border is a dream of a place.