Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

192.com

Think my previous connection with the website design company, Yell, has enabled my details to be placed on 192.com. Not sure I need to be on this as a writer? The fact that you have to give your personal details out, like address and phone details creates alarms in me.

Is it worth being on there, as in what benefits it will give me, if any, and also, not sure if i want my personal details known to all. This is not a business address..

Comments

• I wouldn't think it would be of any benefit for your writings If you are on the electoral role
    your details will be in there, anyway.
  • Your personal details were on your website in the early days, Lydia. For all to see. I suspect it might be quite difficult to ensure you're now hidden.
  • History of the internet is there forever - your address is out there, as in anyone's on this forum (whether you think it is or not)...to be fair your address is already in the phone book for everyone to see, so I wouldn't worry about it :)
  • I suspect it might be quite difficult to ensure you're now hidden.
    So glad in 1984 I took the decision to place my dining table along the same wall as my TV faces out into the room.
    History of the internet is there forever - your address is out there, as in anyone's on this forum
    And if you're on this forum, there'll be more than just your address out there.

• Oh yeah, it's about a five minute job to find out where ANYONE lives...even for someone as inept as me.
  • Okay. Best not to worry about that and leave it as it is..
  • I would just avoid actually displaying it on any website pages. Let them waste those five minutes tracking you down.
  • Just had a phone call from a company wanting to check up on my details for their listings page. Not sure if this was legit or not. Worried about bogus callers who can somehow transfer the call to my phone and extract money from doing that. Don't want these companies calling my landline either.

Thinking it would be a good idea to change my landline number and just put my mobile number on my social media so that if anyone wants to contact me they can leave a message then it will be up to me to ring back if I choose. Fed up with companies ringing up about my website etc.. change my number do you advise?
  • Just had a phone call from a company wanting to check up on my details for their listings page. Not sure if this was legit or not. Worried about bogus callers who can somehow transfer the call to my phone and extract money from doing that. Don't want these companies calling my landline either.

Thinking it would be a good idea to change my landline number and just put my mobile number on my social media so that if anyone wants to contact me they can leave a message then it will be up to me to ring back if I choose. Fed up with companies ringing up about my website etc.. change my number do you advise?
  • Multiple posts. If I edit one or two of them the whole of the posts will go and I'll have to rewrite it. Do excuse these multiple posts..
  • No need to have any number displayed. Because your details were available you will get these calls. You could buy a phone that allows you to block certain calls – wittheld numbers etc. Most of these companies withhold their number.
  • I'm sure BT has a service to block such nuisance calls. I will look into this...
  • They do. But you have provided them with your number.
  • Of course, if you block unlisted numbers if your Dr tries to get urgently in touch with details that you should hike to the nearest to the nearest hospital or you will die he/she won't be able to get through.

i have an unlisted landline phone number and always have had - it has saved no end of trouble. I rarely get calls and they are always from friends.

Neither have I listed my mobile, not even on Facebook, privately.

If someone wants to get in touch they have your email, which you can answer at leisure and with time to think.
  • There's a difference between wittheld and unlisted numbers. I have never had a problem.
  • I wouldn't advertise any telephone number publicly. Your friends and family will already have it, as will your doctor, etc. You will only get junk calls if it's visible to strangers.

I have a separate email address on my websites, although it's invisible. There is a contact form if anyone wants to get in touch.
  • Sounds sensible, Tiny Nell, so it looks like I will have to see if I can get a new landline number and keep that one unlisted. And remove all the mobile numbers on my social media...