Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Encouragement from friends.

edited November 2017 in Writing
Bear with me on this. I'll try to explain it as briefly as possible!

One of my favourite authors is on Twitter. I follow him and we have communicated sporadically, via Tweets, on and off for a few years now. As he is a favourite of my wife and I, when he tours to promote his books, we pop along to local venues when he is at a venue close(ish) to us. Rather wonderfully at an earlier book signing, the author acknowledged me as he walked to take his seat at the front of the audience. My wife and I have met him on quite a few occasions and he has generously stopped to have a drink or two with us. He is a fabulously nice chap.

And, no, I have never been tempted to force him to look at my writing!

One of my friends is also on Twitter and he is a keen reader. We have often exchanged books recommendations via Twitter and in person and discussed various books. He knows that the author in question is a favourite of mine and that we have both met on a few occasions and my friend knows that I am trying to write a book. He is less than encouraging about my efforts and, frankly, has been quite condescending in the past.

And then yesterday....

My friend tweeted the author to say how much he was enjoying his latest book. Nowt wrong there, I hear you say. True, this was a kind thing for my friend to do. The author responded with an appreciative thank you.

Then my friend tagged me and replied to the author with this comment: "There is only one man your equal. @MyTwitterName #HeIsStillWriting #Apparently *laughing face icon*"

Now, at the risk of being overly sensitive, I thought this was a tad unnecessary. I'm not going to respond to his taunt. Bigger man and all that. But, still, it smarts a little.

Comments

• Your 'friend' has just shown himself up to be a complete and utter tw*t.
  • Oh, Kramer... that is unforgivable. And unnecessary.

Do you have any 'real' (I mean published) author friends who can tweet they have read something of yours and enjoyed it?
  • That was cruel, and smacks of jealousy. I think you were right not to acknowledge it on Twitter.

On an optimistic note, maybe he's done you a favour by drawing attention to the fact that you write, and as this author 'knows' you, next time you meet he may well ask about it.
  • Echo Tiny Nell's remark!
  • I thought the same.
  • How very rude of him.
  • With friends like that... etc etc...

Don't share any more of your writing with him. A true friend would be encouraging even if they don't actually like what you write.

But you did well to bite your virtual Twitter tongue rather than engaging in an online tiff.
  • Ta all for the comments and support. I must admit to initially wondering if I was being overly sensitive. I'm glad I wasn't...(I think...?).

I have broad shoulders and, you know, the usual British stiff upper lip and all that whatnotery.

However, can't hide the fact that the unexpected and unnecessary inclusion of me in the Twitter thread with a writing hero of mine (award winning, multi selling, No1 selling etc) was hurtful. Buuuuut.......

I have screenshotted the comment and it will take pride of place as my "motivation" to get my 1st draft completed. And, if the day ever comes when my book is published and my "friend" asks for a copy, I will take quite pleasure in sending him a list of retail outlets that stock it.

:)
  • Oh, Kramer... that is unforgivable. And unnecessary.

Do you have any 'real' (I mean published) author friends who can tweet they have read something of yours and enjoyed it?
    Other than the one author as per my post, I do have another who I am pleased to call a friend (she has generously sent me early drafts of her books to get my take on them). At this stage my writing is far from at as stage where it is complete enough for someone to read. Maybe when it is closer to completion.
  • Well, here's hoping sometime very soon you write a piece of 280 character flash fiction that blows all our socks off which we can retweet like mad...
  • A heap of motivation, there...Go get 'um Kramer.
  • Plus twitter handle please.
  • I expect your friend thought he was being funny.

You're right not to respond, but I wouldn't worry too much. The author might well think your friend is an idiot, but I doubt he'll blame you and probably won't take much notice of it at all.

• Do you have any 'real' (I mean published) author friends who can tweet they have read something of yours and enjoyed it?
    He does if he sends us his work :D

And, Kramer, I'm guessing this was your friend's attempt at humour and they thought they were being funny. Arseholery sometimes happens when people try.

Get them told it wasn't funny!
  • That's really quite hurtful. Best ignored with dignity!