Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

ij M Frenche men?

Has anybody any idea how the title translates? I have been reading: Walker G. John Skelton and Politics of 15C. Here's a clue: The Tudor phrase refers to a certain number of Frenchmen. 

Comments

• Don't bother. Reading further I found an explanation. 
  • Aren't you going to tell us then?
  • Yes, interest well and truly piqued. 
  • Interest still piqued. 
  • Patricia has been active since starting this thread.
    I'm surprised she doesn't check her own threads when it's clear other members have made comments. 
  • edited April 16
    Sorry, but I cannot remember the answer. Oh yes I can. That was a quote from a John Skelton poem and I think what is meant by:
    ' ij M Frenche men ' is eleven thousand French men. Thanks for your comments.
        I'm, currently, writing an article about the poet, 'scurrilous Skelton', tutor to King Henry VIII. He lived, locally, while undertaking the rectorship of Diss.
  • LizLiz
    edited April 16
    I presumed it was a phonetic rendition of J'aime Frenchmen.
  • Presumed. My little fingers do not work and often miss the keys they are supposed to be hitting.
  • I was thinking along the lines of 2 thousand.  Thanks, Patricia.  No longer piqued.
  • edited April 17
    But I suppose it wouldn't have been 2 thousand, because if it was Roman numerals, it would have been MM and not iiM.
  • edited April 28
    The poem refers to confrontation between the King of France and Henry VIII. So there was probably a crowd.