Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Spam

124»

Comments

• Well done, Webbo! 
  • Looking good! Fabulous, what a lot of work! Thank you!
  • So far so good...
  • By George I think he's done it.
  • Wehay, no more spamalot.
  • Arise, Sir Webbo!
  • That was a brief respite. The spammers are back.
  • Yes. Yes. Yeeeeeees. Yeeeeeehaaaayaaay!
  • We need Webbo to get his whack-a-mole stick out again, they're back again.
  • You know... I am beginning to lose the will. 
  • I wonder if it's time for Webbo & Co to change to a different, non-Vanilla, forum if the Vanilla ones allow spam to get in so easily: even if it means losing all the threads? Maybe he could do it so that this one can still be accessed by us, but not posted on?
    I'm getting sick to death of wading through the spam, and how long is Webbo going to want to keep spending/wasting his time addressing the problem?
    Should we ask him about the feasibility of changing?

• I've done that on other occasions. The entire forum, all the other bits of it, are also on this vanilla thing. so it's not as simple as all that. But yes, if this bit is being invaded, whose to say the rest of it won't be next. It does feel like being attacked, it really does. 
  • I don't feel like being attacked. 

Probably because I find it easy to ignore threads I'm not interested in contributing to.  
  • Same here. I have five or so threads bookmarked and can get to them if they've sunk. 
  • There isn't any risk of the rest of the website being affected - Vanilla is a forum platform only, walled off from the rest of the website. 
    It's not really a simple job to switch from one type of forum to another and the feeling from on high, probably quite reasonably, is that any change could bring more problems than it solves. Believe me, this isn't exactly my preferred solution either!
  • Thank you, Webbo.  <3
  • Ah. So how could it bring problems, I wonder. I think perhaps the importance they have assigned to it is probably not high - as it can't be something anyone new is going to want to join, really. 
  • Webbo said:
    There isn't any risk of the rest of the website being affected - Vanilla is a forum platform only, walled off from the rest of the website. 
    It's not really a simple job to switch from one type of forum to another and the feeling from on high, probably quite reasonably, is that any change could bring more problems than it solves. Believe me, this isn't exactly my preferred solution either!
    Thanks for responding. I made my suggestion because I was worried that the spam problem is taking up your valuable time and there might be a 'time limit' on how much longer you can continue to address it.
  • Plus it intrudes into the weekends when you or TAM want to be away from work and enjoying your weekends.
  • Well, you don't need to worry about that Carol - although thank you for the concern! Hopefully I'm relieving TAM of it too. 
    Liz - it's not so much about bringing external problems as the time it would take to source, set up, integrate, test, etc, initially for the web team, and then, mostly, me. With no guarantee that it would actually stop the spam anyway. Remember when we first switched from Talkback of old and had months of wrangling to get this version into the almost usable state it's in now? That!
    Claudia - there may yet be a time limit but I won't stop until something else is in place to get round the problem. If anything, "wasting" my time is actually a case for pushing for a fix!
  • Ah... I see. Personally I'd much rather wrangle with the fact that all the colour words and things mess up the postings (i seem to recall something like that happened) because it would be a wrangle towards a positive outcome, than spam which is always negative and frustrating on a daily basis, possibly forever now they've found us. I belong to many fora, haiku, other writing platforms, but none have this sort of a problem, so I don't see a basis for that worry, and i've only read about Vanilla having trouble, but your web people probably know more about it., and work with other places troubled similarly, perhaps. But you would think they must know of a platform without trouble! But i can understand it would be an utter pain for you all, who have to go through a couple of months of getting a new place right, and learning its ins and outs. 
  • Another influx.
  • We need an automatic flushing system.
  • At least there's no mistaking the majority of these latest ones for genuine threads!