Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Agatha Christie site...

edited April 2010 in - Reading
If you like her work then here is a fun site...

http://www.agathachristie.com./

Comments

• No one apart from Tanya, responded to this posting.
  • Posted on my birthday, too! Thank you Carol - didn't notice this thread before, but have now visited the suggested site as I am a huge fan of Agatha Christie.

And, of course, thank you to Stan for pushing the thread to the top so that I could see it :)
  • My pleasure!
  • Glad it has been useful, and thank you Stan.
  • I loved reading Agatha Christie as a teenager....I might re-read some. Re-reading old favorites are like comfort food to me, they give me a nice safe feeling. :)
  • Oh me too gina. I read and re-read Enid Blyton as a child and right up till I was in my 20s occasionally revisited The Secret Island. i still have my copy of it.

And in my library, behind other books, I have my Agatha Christie collection. First read age 9 in the home of my dad's partner... my parents went out for a meal with him and left us at the partner's house, with a new colour television (we had never seen before) and a pile of Agatha Christies. I was so scared when they got back.... but hooked. And occasionally I re-visit to feel 'safe' as ell.
  • I know what you mean, I re-read some Enid Blytons recently that I found in box. Also re-read some Malcom Saville books too. I have some favorites that are easy to read even though I've read them loads of times before. I am not a huge fan of Dean Koontz but I have some which I think are great and wouldn't part with. Dick Francis, Jilly Cooper, Lee Childs, Quintin Jardin etc are dog-eared but I will not part with. I save them for duvet days when I can do nothing but read them from cover to cover in almost one sitting because I can skip any bits I want. OH can not understand why you would read a fiction book more than once but than he likes factual only.
  • Oh! Dick Francis! LOVE HIM. I got every single one in hardback. And he sent me a letter once. Sheer escapism, and even though his hero is his dream self and always the same person, I do love his plots. So sad when he died this year. Also a BIG fan of Lee Childs, Wonderful hero too. Never heard of Quintin Jardin but must try as you seem to have same easy reading tastes!!

Have you ever tried Donna Leon? Detective set in Venice, never gets the ghastly perpetrator as Italian justice/police/Gvt etc are so corrupt, but strangely satisfying nonetheless.
  • that's exactly it, the comfort thing! That's why I've been going back a lot lately.
    I won't part with my Delderfields, Howard Springs, Ray Bradbury's (he was responsible for getting me writing!) Nevil Shute's, Charles Dickens and then the 'odd' books that will never go, Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings, The Sojourner, and H De Vere Stacpoole, The Blue Lagoon and it would be hard to find a grander name for a book spine, wouldn't it?????
  • Well, I have Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings's 'The Yearling' but as it always leaves my ears blocked, my throat aching and my chest wet i don't re-read it.
  • edited May 2010
    The Sojourner is a delight. It is a totally magical story of one man, his farm, his wife, his family and all that happens to them, in such glorious in depth characterisation, as she did with The Yearling, I never grow tired of it.

THE books which wrecked me, Sorrel & Son by Warwick Deeping (read it at the wrong time, six months after my mother died of cancer ... Mr Deeping took two and a half pages for his hero, Sorrel, to die of the same illness) Diana by R F Delderfield and My Son, My Son by Howard Spring.
  • Yes. My Son My son IS rather sad. Haven't read that for a long time... it may have been one of the books I lost to damp...
  • I still have all my Poldark books from the 1970's, and The Far Pavillions by M M Kaye, a few old Georgette Heyer's and the odd romance novel from my youth.
    It is clear why I ended up writing historical romance...:)
  • Well not really carol, I also have all those... in fact, I have practically every Georgette Heyer, and she wrote a LOT.
  • We have loads of Agatha Christies but I have only read one - Murder on the Orient Express.

I want to read some more of them but the stack of books next to my bed that I haven't read yet is quite tall. I will soon be able to have busloads of tourists come round to photograph the leaning tower of books! ;)

'On your left you will see the Leaning Tower of Books and to your right is Mount Big Pile of Clothes which is due to erupt at anytime.'
  • If you saw how many historical/romance books there are compared to other authors Liz, you might change your mind. ;)
  • Quintin Jardin has books with 3 lead characters - Skinner, Oz Balckstone and Prim Blackstone (she a fairly new series so I've only read the first one). Personally I prefer both of the Blackstone characters to Skinner although some with him are good. I would recommend them.
  • That's true carol! But on the other hand, mine, the ones on the fronts of the shelves anyway, apart from all the lit fic, are detective stories. And I write poetry... what i meant was, what is most predominant isn't necessarily what you go on to write methinks.
  • True, but I suspect it does have some influence even if you aren't aware of it.
    So many times I've written a story intending it to be one thing- no romance, but by the time I've finished a romance has emerged...