Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Alan Sillitoe has died

edited April 2010 in - Reading
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8642720.stm

This is very sad news.
He was a lovely man, very unassuming in some ways but also a wonderful writer. I have read transcriptions of some of the letters he sent back to Nottingham Writers' Club after he left the UK- they are very descriptive.
It was a great honour to meet him and talk to him when myself, our club Chairman and President attended the reception and dinner held inNottingham to honour him becoming a Freeman of the City of Nottingham a couple of years ago.
Our club has always been proud of our connection to Alan Sillitoe, and he will be sadly missed.

Comments

• Sad. Having just checked him out on Wikipedia, I'd no idea he'd written so much. The 'long distance' writer indeed.
  • Very sad. I read 'The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner' years ago and loved it. Time I read some more of his work.

Good to hear that he was such a nice man and of his personal connection with your club, Carol.
  • edited April 2010
    I remember Saturday Night and Sunday Morning, too. In it, I think the main character wonders if he should worker faster so he can leave earlier - or something like that. But he knows, if he does work harder, then that might be expected of him all the time. Which wouldn't please him or endear him to any of the other workers.

A man whose books epitomised the age he lived in.
  • So sad to read this - he was a wonderful writer.
  • another loss, sad news.
  • Yes, a talented and conscientious writer.
  • The literary community in the city and county are looking to get together to do something- a few ideas have already been suggested.