Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Hooray! I've finished!

pbwpbw
edited September 2010 in - Writing Problems
How do you tell when your Opus Magnus is finished?

Comments

• I think it glows, and angels begin to sing...it should be pretty obvious when it happens :D
  • When you write the sentence "The End" :-)
  • [quote=DeneBebbo]When you write the sentence "The End" :-)[/quote]
    Ha! Ha!
  • it never finishes, even when it's in print you read it and wish you'd altered that word or that sentence.
  • couldn't agree more.
  • You do get an excited rush when the first draft is complete, and it's easy to fool yourself that's the work done. But unless you are a prodigy it probably isn't. I put mine away for a while and write something else then go back for another look - it can be very painful to realise it isn't as good as you remember, although sometimes it can be encouraging when it's better than you remember. So then I have another go at it and put it aside again. You can repeat that process until:

a) you go mad or

b) you get up the courage to get some feedback - a crit group is your best bet

Then it's more revisions until you reach the stage that your eyes bleed every time you try to read it, which is nature's way of telling you to:

a) burn it and bury the ashes in consecrated ground,

b) give it up and start again or

c) send it out

Even then it probably isn't finished as agents/editors will more than likely demand more changes.
    Good thing you love writing, eh? :)
  • Yeah, someone just bought a copy of The Steinberg Diamonds and wanted me to sign it, I was having a quick flick through and came across the words 'duck' tape instead of 'duct' tape. I cringed but said nothing. Thing is, no one had spotted so far, not even proof readers.
  • slightly off topic but I was like that with my dissertation - after a near disaster I was in the library until gone 6pm printing and binding it. And I didn't dare look at it before I handed it in.

And I'm very glad I didn't because when I did look through it I did spot a mistake...but thankfully it was in the appendix.

I'm very glad that I had planned it so that I would 'finish' one whole day ahead of the deadline...otherwise it would have been an actual disaster not a near one
  • [quote=Marc.B]'duck' tape instead of 'duct' tape. I cringed but said nothing. Thing is, no one had spotted so far, not even proof readers. [/quote]

It's not actually incorrect. Both are acceptable.
  • It's finished about 5 drafts after you think it's finished. Then if you're lucky enough to get it accepted anywhere, the editor will ask for a rewrite.
  • Thanks Red, i never knew that, no wonder it wasn't picked up.
  • Funny old world Marc. I only know that because my dad was a builder and I heard all sorts of versions, duct, duck, gaffer, pipe tape. I think the duck version is used Stateside, not entirely sure though.
  • I've always known it as gaffer tape, but I pronounce it duck tape, if I have to.
  • I've heard it said as 'duck' but had always assumed the person was mispronouncing 'duct'. Round here it's called 'Harry black maskers' or 'bodge tape'.
  • I think you've got away with it Marc- phew...;)
  • Yep you have. It seems Duck is a brand name for duct tape. Maybe your subconscious knew that?

http://www.duckbrand.com/
  • [quote=flyingtart]hat your eyes bleed every time you try to read it[/quote]
    the bleeding is just starting - there are one or two drops on the keyboard as I type. I am going through the edits which one of my dedicated crit group has sent back. She has picked up on (quite rightly) the a) blathering streams of consciousness b) the preaching c) the philosophising d) the plain incomprehensible.

This feels like the hardest work I have had to do yet...namely...ask myself "what am I trying to convey here and what is a better way to say it without repeating myself, without repeating myself, without repeating myself...aaaaaaaaaaargh!

It's going to take me at least a week to review the whole manuscript in this way. In October and November I shall be busy with other things and I will have to put this away, which as you say, ft, will be a good thing. It will give the eyeballs a chance to recover.
  • I send my (dictated) books in, remember that the people writing them have had close on 400-500 years to work out what they want to say and how they want to say it, and STILL I get great long emails from my editor, enlarge on this, what does this mean, which side is he fighting on, it isn't clear, what's all this about him being a seasoned sailor, it was only the Channel, for goodness sake, how long did the journey take from York to London and then to Midhurst and what was the house like ... I added about 7000 words to Guy's book when he was through with it, and I thought it was perfect.

It really never does end.
  • When you are proud of it and can imagine a publisher reading it without cringing.
  • [quote=paperbackwriter]In October and November I shall be busy with other things and I will have to put this away, which as you say, ft, will be a good thing. It will give the eyeballs a chance to recover.[/quote]
    The best thing is to get distance from it and that only happens after you've put it aside for a while. Then when you come back to it it's with fresh eyes.
  • [quote=DeneBebbo]When you write the sentence "The End" :-)[/quote]

Actually, 'The End' often appears at the end of first or subsequent drafts. (Wishful thinking)
    but now,

I really, really really have finished. I have 85,000 words. I have a tight structure and I don't want to dismantle it again. All the plot threads are tidied, either resolved or acknowledged...cos in real life you don't resolve everything.

Most importantly - I have said all I want to say in this book, with this approach. To say more, I need to start book two.

I have entered it for a competition. If it gets picked up, no doubt the editor has a sharp pair of scissors he/she is keen to wield, but until that time, I can't improve on it any more.

The trouble is, I miss it and I am wandering round like a zombie...
  • Hey, PBW, what an achievement! Bet you're over the proverbial asteroid.

But if I might just say, by way of a good idea: the next step is to send it for a professional critique, because although you're convinced you can't improve on it any more, what I suspect you mean is 'as far as your own insight can tell'. It's a different pair of eyes, especially a professional's, which now needs to look at it and say: You need to do this, and you haven't done that.

Just trying to help :) .
  • Well done PBW. It's a weird feeling when you've sent it on its merry little way, isn't it?

I found it very difficult to settle, writing-wise, for a few weeks afterwards. I felt I was being unfaithful to my beloved characters.

May I recommend working on some short pieces now? A few one-night stands, so to speak, before committing to a serious relationship with a new novel whilst on the rebound? ;)
  • Well done, PBW!
  • Ah PBW well done I'm so happy for you. It's an inspiration to the rest of us too.
  • Well done PBW, now put it away for a few weeks then get it out and read it again.

I was amazed at the things I saw and knew I could improve when I looked at a bit of my Dorset novel yesterday. I have not touched it since the new year.
  • Congratulations!
  • [quote=SilentTony]Ah PBW well done I'm so happy for you. It's an inspiration to the rest of us too.[/quote]

That's exactly how I feel - am sending huge hugs of congratulations.

x
  • That is fantastic such a great feeling when the book is finished. All the best with the competition.
  • Well done, PBW!
  • Well done and good luck, PBW
    And if you should not win, you might consider taking up Dwight's advice
    And Anna's right now, to tide you over.
    Sound!
  • Well done PBW and good luck in the competition! You'll probably find an idea for a new book starts nagging you soon, so enjoy the freedom while it lasts!
  • Good luck indeed, from one who knows ;)
  • You've worked really hard on it PBW, congratulations.
  • Hey, thanks guys. Such compliments...I didn't know I was an inspiration...

*squirms, blushes and giggles in a Goofy and Mickey kinda way*
  • Good luck with the competition, pbw ;)
  • Well done pbw. 85,000 words is an achievement. Good luck with the comp. Fingers crossed for you.