Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Does Anyone Have...?

edited October 2010 in - Reading
Does anyone have a spare copy of Tess of the D'Urbervilles that they wouldn't mind lending to me or....for a better word, giving me? Only I know I'll need a copy for my English Literature course, and I know I need to get it soon to read.

If anyone can help me I would be truly grateful.

Comments

• What about your local library? I would be pretty certain the adult section would have it.

I think I donated my copy to Oxfam.
  • Probably, but I think we're going to need it for a long time as people who I know who's on the course was told to buy a copy, so. If I can't get hold of a used one, I'll buy a new one. I was just curious if anyone had a spare copy they didn't want no more.
  • You can also download from Project Gutenberg:

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/110
  • You could have this by Tuesday for £1.99 (new)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dUrbervilles-Wordsworth-Classics-Thomas-Hardy/dp/1853260053/ref=si_aps_sup?ie=UTF8&qid=1287168265&sr=8-2

There are some there new from 0.01 (yes a penny!) but I haven't checked them out.
  • edited October 2010
    lots of stuff on Amazon for 1p, the ones I am selling included, COS, you make your money on the postage which Amazon allocate to the sale.
    Wish I could help, Pix, but I don't have a single Thomas Hardy in the place. Dickens, but not Hardy.
  • I've got a pretty great condition paperback version if you want it.
  • i've got it on cd audio book if thats any help ?
  • Sorry I haven't a copy, Pixie. I remember really enjoying it, but it might take a bit of getting into. Just persevere.
  • Thanks for everyone's offers, but today Mum and I went out and bought a copy from Waterstones today.

Dwight...I hope it is good, because if the writing is anything like Of Mice and Men was, I will soon start complaining to my English teacher...
  • Oh I remember reading Of Mice and Men when I was about twelve and loving it. I never liked Tess though. Don't think I ever finished reading it.
  • It's victorian. No way is it good? I'm about to start tess the obscure or something. Plue I have to read read A women of No importance and A doll's house. I hate reading boring books. Why couldn't it be Stephen King?
  • edited October 2010
    StF - Who selects course books? Probably people who are getting revenge for the boring books they had to read when they were at school!
  • I don't know. The exam board I think...
  • Well I love Tess AND Of Mice and Men. Though not Jude The Obscure, it has to be said. Stephen King I read in my own time - I wouldn't grace school/college with my appreciation of the master.
  • Well, I couldn't stand the way Of Mice and Men was written. The story was fine. The writing was. That said, I can't complain too much...I got an A* for my suffering, and I'm hoping to do the same here.
  • Can't go wrong with a bit of Hardy. Remember studying that in 6th Form...

Have you checked out the BBC series that was on a while back? That might help with your study.
  • [quote=Red]Can't go wrong with a bit of Hardy. Remember studying that in 6th Form...[/quote] I'm doing him now! Some of his poems are a bit, strange and long winded. I'm not a poetry person.
  • I've read Hardy's The Withered Arm (I think it was him anyway) and that was okay. I've got to read Tess yet, so I'll soon let you know my opinions on him...