Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Help needed to track down a children's story

edited October 2010 in - Reading
Does anyone recall a story - probably written in the 1950s or before - with the following scenario: some children in a beautiful garden are warned never to venture down into the smoky industrial town they can see in the valley below. Inevitably, some do and, each time a child is swallowed up by the town, a new fish and chip shop appears.

I'd be very grateful if anyone could come up with either the title or the author, preferably both. I've already tried the Internet and asked everyone I know, including several children's librarians.

Comments

• Don't give up. I put "children's stories from the 1950s" into a google search and found this success story ..

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=126384

So it can be done!
  • Thanks, Jenny. I'll give it a try.
  • Just did and found that Google Answers has retired. What a shame!
  • I can ask on Facebook, as I have lots of children's authors who read a lot on there... if you don't mind me doing that montholon.
  • Any help welcome, Liz. Thanks for the offer.
  • edited October 2010
    Montholon - Shame about Google Answers. Just wondering - is it a short story or book length?

I once managed to track down (via a Google search) a very old rhyming book about fictional birds that an 80-year-old friend had wanted to find for years. Luckily she remembered a couple of lines, so that made it relatively easy.
  • I've decided to spend a little time in the hunt for this book. I need coffee and sandwiches though because once I get digging I'm like a Jack Russell with a rat :-D
  • Have put it on Facebook as my status, so quite a few people should see it. You never know!! They are all mostly old enough, hopefully...
  • Sorry, Jenny, my mouse wanted to thank you as I was scrolling down the page!

I agree, mon, don't give up. I put 'children's book sisters ghost' into google and finally found Dianna Wynne Jone's The Time of the Ghost - all I could remember was that it was about some sisters and a ghost and that it was one of the most enjoyable and disturbing books of my childhood. It was very odd reading it again though as some of the scenes were completely different to how I rememberd them. (It was still brilliant, though.)
  • That's OK, Lou - all thanks gratefully received - even when they haven't been earned!!