Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Any Pro' Bloggers On This Forum?

edited November 2010 in Writing
I wonder if there are any 'professional' bloggers on this forum, who can divulge a few details?

For instance, is the pay measly, or meal-worthy? I ask that, because I browsed two pro-blog jobsites and I was somewhat disheartened by the lousy pay-outs on offer (less than newspaper wordage base-rates, as far as I could see) - though that was USA; is it the same here?

Also, are there any UK/European-based jobsites/lists for pro-bloggers? If so, could we have a link or two on here, please?

I'm something of a newcomer to the webmedia - particularly with Blogging, not surfing the web - but I aim to learn as much on the subject ASAP, and try to concentrate in this field. I can't believe I didn't trip over this writing market before, and I'm kicking myself for not realising it was there all the time - hopefully, I'll make up for that quickly enough to beat the sound of my 'pine overcoat' being screwed down...

Any advice & information would be most gratefully received...

Comments

• Nothing I've ever seen warrants submission, pay-wise. Others might have had different experiences.

However I have seen industry adverts for full-time company blog/social media posts.
  • I think actual paying bloggers are very few and far between. There's a lot of us on here that have blogs but they are non-subscription. I reckon you'll only be a paid blogger if you are already famous or come up with something completely new to talk about, and then from the get-go you wouldn't get paid, you'd have to establish yourself first and get a following and make them interested enough to be willing to fork out to want to read whatever you write. And, with the likes of twitter etc, there's a lot of interesting people that keep folks up to date for free.
  • I know a couple of people who blog and are paid. Unfortunately the blogging bit isn't their job, just a task they have to do as part of it. One is a designer the other is a website designer/programmer. They are not writers and it's just something that has become part of their job description. One of them is even paid to keep Twitter and FB feeds up to date. Weirdly he says it's the most boring part of his job!
  • Thanks for info & comments - most interesting...

I wasn't thinking of subscription blogs (don't know anything about them yet, anyway!), just looking at avenues for writing, earnings possibilities, top-ups, etc. Let's face it, we all dream of wrtiting full time and earning well enough from it, so I look at it as an unexplored avenue. In time, who knows? Blogging, etc, may prove a useful sideline/top-up to something more robust like feature writing, etc. We shall see...

Back to the blockbuster novel, then - now, what was that earth-shattering opening line I thought up...? :-D
  • edited December 2010
    From what I've seen there aren't many well paid bloggers. Those who have to do it as part of their jobs aren't really blogging, they're just providing fodder. Any decent sized company which intends to use social media effectively would be hiring someone who understands the different channels and who might provide or commission content - but the rates of pay for external providers are abysmal.

On a personal note, I and all of you put a lot of effort into what we write, even if it's just criticisms in my case, and I do get irritated when I see people starting blogs, paying people peanuts to knock up (usually copied) pages and c&p'ed ads and calling it a blog - and probably making money from flogging rubbish!

Sorry, end of rant.

Earth-shattering opening line? It was the best of blogs, it was the worst of blogs ...
  • I don't know about professional but I do have a blog as you know and I am hoping to add more writing to it soon. I have even written one today if any of you care to look at it but I am anticipating upon putting in some fiction as well for you to read.
  • I use my blog as a marketing tool. Theming your blog is a way of capturing a specific following. Because I'm a professional writer, I blog about books, not just reviews but news of interest to readers and writers. Sometimes it's about literature festivals, sometimes writing courses - anything to do with the book trade.

I'm on the receiving end of a lot of information so I might as well use it. As newspapers are laying off book reviewers, publishers are beginning to rely on bloggers for publicity. They are only too happy (as are PR people) to send me review copies and press releases. Write for readers rather than for yourself. Nobody is going to be interested in the minutiae of my day-to-day experiences, views or opinions but they are interested in news and views about books, reading and writing.

As a result, I have been approached by publishers for book ideas and commissioned to write magazine articles. My main Followers are on Twitter. Post the theme of each blog on Twitter, Google Buzz and Facebook. Blog regularly or your Followers will soon drop off.

I am able to 'advertise' my services on my blog, so have a permanent ad built in for my editorial consultancy and include entries on my writing activities, like tutoring and courses. It costs me nothing but time, a lot of enjoyment and the chance to read the latest books. Take a peek: http://bookblogforbookworms.blogspot.com

All the best for the New Year!
  • Lots of useful info there. Thanks Diane.
  • edited January 2011
    I use Guru.com and made.... nothing! People want you to edit etc but for free. I offered £15 per 2000 words to edit a 90,000 book and woman was shocked. Said she would rather do it herself if my price was typical. >sheesh<

Like Diane, I use my blog as a marketting tool. I've looked into reviewing, but at the moment I'm taking in submissions for author interivews if they link my blog to theirs. And am now finding that companies are contacting me for blog tours. At the moment I'm free, maybe I'm missing a trick here?

Do you charge Diane? Will have to add myself to your blog.

www.louisewise.blogspot.com