Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Glass Woman Prize

edited January 2011 in - Reading
http://www.sigriddaughter.com/wanderer.htm

Just browsing the Glass Woman Prize rules etc and read last years winner. Felt it was worth sharing....

Comments

• that's potent stuff. We had a story like this entered for Lily's Friday Prediction, cold and cutting to the very bone.
  • I like it for the impact and its succinctness - and I didn't see the twist coming-which is always a plus :)
  • Yeah quite powerful imagery and turn.
  • Very strong, can see why it won.
  • Yes, powerful.
  • I've considered entering this before; never felt I was good enough.
  • I've entered. I once got through the first stage, but I've not yet been good enough to do better than that.
  • [quote=LilyC]I've considered entering this before; never felt I was good enough[/quote]

Absolutely nothing to lose-it's free entry-it's surely got to be worth a go

Says she who didn't complete the story destined for this last year :( but who is definitely 'having a go' this year :)
  • I just felt inadequate reading that winner...plastic woman in my case at this moment...
  • [quote=Carol]I just felt inadequate reading that winner...plastic woman in my case at this moment... [/quote]

Actually me too tonight-written a couple of pages but it all seems a bit trite-but will get the brain into gear tomorrow hopefully
  • It is inspiring, isn't it. Reckon I'll dig out what I started last year and revisit. Thanks for reminding me, red-lucy and good luck to everyone that enters.
  • That was a stunning little number (no pun intended)
    Didn't see the 'twist' coming
    Short and neat, very well done that winner
  • I've entered this once but didn't do any good, have read a couple of the winning stories in the past and must admit they are very good and I sometimes wish m,y writing could compare - one day, maybe...
  • edited January 2011
    Great piece.

[quote=red-lucy]I didn't see the twist coming-which is always a plus [/quote]

I did. But that doesn't take away from the power and quality of it. I suppose because I have written a couple of similar things in this genre and a lot of my reading over the past years have been connected with the subject.

Worthy winner. Might take a look at the competition - but clearly I would have to write something TOTALLY different !
  • edited January 2011
    It's always worth a try - free, online entry after all and no exclusion of previously published or prize-winning stories - although this does of course make the competition tougher.

I did think the winning story was very powerful, but I did feel like I'd read it before. It reminded me very much of the ending of a well-known book (which I won't name in case any of you haven't read it.) That said, there are very few 'new' ideas and the writing was excellent. The previous comps winner was even better, in my view.
  • Must admit, not read this one but read one a few years ago and it has stayed with me, that's how good it was.
  • Lily, what about your story Softly, about the woman killed by her husband? That was brilliant and I think would fit the remit.
  • Does anyone have a link to the competition?
  • edited January 2011
    Damn, I just found it and my 'copy and paste' didn't work. Hold on ...

here tis.

http://www.sigriddaughter.com/GlassWomanPrize.htm
  • Thanks Dorothy
  • Welcome!
    Interesting competition, I think, for a change it is something that really interests me.
  • Reading period for this competition ends on 21st March. I managed to get my fuzzy brain in gear long enough to buff up the story I started ages ago. So yeeha I actually sent something off this month. Result ;)
  • Well done.