Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Forward Poetry

edited March 2011 in Writing
I have just recieved two letters from Forward Poetry accepting two poems I sent in ages and ages ago to Forward Press.
They will be published in an anthology called The Colour of War. I am pleased and would like to buy the book , but why do they have to be so exspensive at £17.99 and thats a special offer, its far to much so will not be purchasing it. They should put the price down to about £10.00 max(even thats to much really) then I would consider buying it even though its really vanity publishing , no matter what way you look at. Are Forward Press re-branding themselves under lots of different titles now?

Comments

• I suppose they are trying to get money in...
  • If the book seems too expensive to you, then I don't suppose anyone who isn't in it will ever buy a copy.
  • I cant see them selling any to be honest, its not even hardback but a paper back, they say its going to be illustrated, but even thats not enough to tempt me. I might just let one poem go and save the other for something else that may crop up.
  • Was it a competition? If it was then what is the prize for being placed? I assume that only the winners are in the anthology?

If they are simply compiling a book then as you own the poems what are they paying your for them? Surely a free book would be part of the prize or fee?

To be honest I think you are being conned into buying the book. There's a thread here somewhere about Sally Quilford's blog that mentions writers being conned. I suggest you read it.
  • Hi write bag , I did read Sally Quilford post just after I posted this , and no I am not going to buy it, as I said its just another form of vanity publishing really, and yes if they were half way decent about publishing work, they could at least offer the authors a free copy of the book . It wasn`t a comp in the real sense , they wanted poetry about war for an anthology , and promised to give The British Legion some money for every one sent in , then to publish an anthology of the best ones, giving some copies to Military bases in the UK. Thats what attracted me to it in the first place. Any way they are just a shoot off from Forward Press, needing money I guess.I have decided not to sign my work over to them any way.
  • Jenny, there are markets for poetry, have you looked at People's Friend magazine? How about publishing your own book to raise funds for the charity? Lulu.com is supposed to be very good.
    Good luck!
  • I was conned, Jenny, into paying that much for a book called Poetry Rivals - I know it's ridiculous to pay so much for this type of book, especially as some of the poetry in that collection is not so good. I won't send anything to them again. They've now asked for poems to celebrate the royal wedding, but I won't be contributing. Lulu used to be cheap, I believe, but when I enquired recently, they seemed quite expensive, writebag.
  • Forward Press and Forward Poetry do run competitions and I'm as sure as I can be without having won that they really do pick winners and award the prizes they advertise. They then cram as many poems as they can into an anthology and try to sell this to all entrants - I don't think anyone, including the winner, gets a free copy.