Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Write a Story for Bedtime competition...

edited May 2011 in - Resources
Just received details of this competition and had a look at the website...

http://www.avogel.co.uk/story/index.html

too many details to post here, but they are clearly set out. Two of the judges are Della Galton and Ann Burnett.

Comments

• ooer thanks Carol
  • Thank you Carol
  • Looks like a fun challenge. Mind you I think most of my stories at bed time would result in nightmares.
  • I like bed time stories. :)
  • Yes, I received details of this, looks interesting. Follow Carol's link.
  • I might have a go at this. Thanks :)
  • This looks like a nice comp - thanks Carol!
  • Thanks. I'll try to find time to enter.
  • [quote=SilentTony]most of my stories at bed time would result in nightmares[/quote]
    Yeah, mine too!

Might have some non-Lily Childs ones suitable though; thanks Carol.
  • "Entrants should use a one-word pseudonym to prevent judges being aware of your identity and use their real name on only on the entry form."

Spot the deliberate mistakes. :)
  • Someone was having a bad day when they wrote that...:)
  • I might have a go at this - most of my stuff seems to send people to sleep.
  • What do you think it means when it says 'Entrants must be prepared to take part in publicity' ?

Maybe TV appearances, triumphal rides through the main cities of the UK in an open-top bus, signing autographs all the way?
  • I think it's likely their picture appearing etc.
  • Must read T&C more carefully! If publicity does mean travelling do we have to pay for that ourselves I wonder. I must remember to double check the website and read the rules etc carefully before I enter. Not that I expect to win of course but I am really not good at reading all the regulations carefully enough until just before I post something off, which could be why I rarely get around to posting anything. lol :)
  • I doubt it does mean anything other than what Carol said. It'll be for photos, website content and possibly an interview for the site.

"Entrants must be prepared to take part in publicity." It says 'be prepared' but doesn't say must or are obliged anyway.
  • i've been to the dentist so feeling abit woozy, so if i read the rules correctly that its an adult bedtime story? (my capitals on my keyboard aren't working but i can get the stuff on the top row over the numbers - freaky or what?) thanks so much for posting this carol!!
  • And you must be in the UK to enter, it's not open to overseas entries.
  • does it count if i visit? :-)
  • Thanks for that Carol - another useful tip off. Good luck all
  • Anyone have any luck with this?

I had a letter from Vogel yesterday in a branded envelope, which got my hopes up, but it was just to thank me for my entry and tell me i wasn't a prize winner. :(
  • Goodness - this thread was started last May - that's a long time to wait to hear you weren't successful, Heather! Commiserations.
  • The comp was running until October, claudia, with monthly prizewinners as well, so not too long really. And at least they let me know!
    Never mind - there's plenty more stuff out there.
  • I had a letter too. Said they had just over 1,000 entries and mine was in the top 100.

Winning story was 'The bed Lucy made and she lies in it' but they don't say who wrote it.
  • Phots, I had exactly the same letter! :( Do you think they said we were in the top 100 out of 1000 so we wouldn't be too disappointed? Mind you, I guess that the fact we were both monthly winners must count for something...
  • Of course it does!
    Well done both on the monthly wins - sorry you didn't win the overall thing, but you must have been close.

(My letter didn't even say that, so I was most definitely an also ran!)
  • If Heather's didn't say it then it looks like we can believe our letters.

Heather, I expect you were in the top 101.
  • I haven't even had a letter, so what does that say about my entry!
  • [quote= Phots Moll]Winning story was 'The bed Lucy made and she lies in it' but they don't say who wrote it.[/quote]

Funnily enough, I've just been looking at the results of a competition from last year, in which a story with that same title made the shortlist but didn't win a prize. The author was Douglas Bruton.
  • I had a letter as well also a non runner not in the top 100, ah well .
  • Please ignore my previous comment. The letter arrived this morning.
  • I'm impressed they've bothered to contact everyone. So many comps post the result on the website and just contact the winners - hearing nothing and stumbling over the result weeks later really does make me feel that I came nowhere.
  • I got the letter too - but not in top 100 - so well done to those that were!
  • Oh dear and I never entered at all, so I'm not even in the top 1000!
  • They're going to run it again, apparently. Hope so.
  • [quote=danfango]Funnily enough, I've just been looking at the results of a competition from last year, in which a story with that same title made the shortlist but didn't win a prize. The author was Douglas Bruton. [/quote]

The same competition but a different date, or a completely different competition?
  • Sorry, Jay, I didn't make that very clear, did I?

It was a different competition. I can't remember which and don't have time to search it out, but I think it was a competition based in America.