Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

What word was spelt incorrectly in the Oxford Dict in 2010?

edited June 2011 in Writing
A team of proof readers found one word spelt incorrectly out of 600,000 words.
What was it?
No I don't know but if i find out I could win a free pitch at our local boot fair tomorrow.

Comments

• edited June 2011
    This isn't a trick question is it? Because if it is the answer is staring you in the face!

In fact if it is the word I'm thinking of it is always spelt incorrectly.
  • I don't know if it's a trick question , it's on the boot sale facebook page. Someone has already posted 'incorrectly' -do you mean that?
    I want to win a free pitch!
  • [quote=kateyanne]Someone has already posted 'incorrectly' -do you mean that?[/quote]

Yes

Well that is what I would put anyway - if that is not the correct answer though I don't want to be sued or anything (for one thing I have no money!) ;)
  • me neither that's why I'm doing a boot sale :)
  • The answer was 'incorrectly.'
    I didn't win.
  • Pity that!
  • Think we should call an all out strike until they check the result and state KA is the winner.

Everybody out.
  • I wanted a fee pitch too boo hoo.
  • I said the word supersede!
  • Super Sid?

What's he gotta do with owt?
  • Well ka, how much is the pitch fee ?
    Could we all club in or something ?
    I have a box of defunct foreign currency to donate ...
  • It is £50... ok not really it is £9. Alas I cannot tell a lie.
  • How much is that in lira, drachma and centimes ?
  • Or even £ira, Sentimes and Drachma? :)
  • edited June 2011
    [quote=kateyanne]I said the word supersede! [/quote]

I think supersede is the only 'sede' word - the rest are 'cede'. Different er ... origin/root or something. The 'cedes' come from 'to yield'. Not sure where 'sede' comes from. Perhaps it's in the dictionary. :)