Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Lee Child & Jack Reacher

edited July 2011 in - Reading
Firstly - yay Lee Child has got an award - I don't know if it is his first but when I watch the Crime Thriller awards every year I am always dismayed when he doesn't win. His Jack Reacher books are great.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-14246226

which brings me on to the WTF bit of todays post. They are going to make a film of one of the books and who is playing this 6ft 5in, 220lb (all muscle I might add) ex military police officer? Tom Cruise!?!

I know they can't get it absolutely spot on but TC is nearly a foot shorter than the character.

I have always thought the perfect person would have been Clint Eastwood... unfortunately being in his 80s does put him slightly out of the running (he was 6ft 4in when he was younger - almost spot on).

So now I reckon Hugh Jackman would be good - 6ft 1in, we've seen that he can pack on muscle very well and he kind of looks like Clint Eastwood (trust me you watch CE's earlier films and the similarity can be seen - particularly 'Where Eagles Dare').

But looking at the article I'm not the only one (about Tom's suitability not the Hugh/Clint connection).

Comments

• LOL! I Love Jack Reacher. Really, very unPC as he is, I love him and can't wait for each new book. I do know at least one writer who reckons Lee Child's writing is rubbish, and certainly it isn't poetry, but I don't care.
  • There's a new one out in September - The Affair

I've already pre ordered it :)
  • I really enjoy the Jack Reacher books, so congratulations to Lee Child.
    Tom Cruise is a foot shorter than everyone. That just makes a nonsense of the whole thing. Hugh Jackman, yes - I can see him in the role. It needs someone with screen presence, not pretty-boy looks.
    The books are what they are - not literature, not psychological thrillers, just good solid stories.
  • I did read one the other day that wasn't as good as usual, I think it was an early one... found it, 'The Visitor'.
  • Sean Bean would have been good in the role.
  • [quote=Jenthom72]Sean Bean would have been good in the role.[/quote]

Fair do's I'd watch him in anything-or preferably 'nothing' ;) Yum Yum

But having never read a Lee Child book I've no idea what Jack Reacher should look ike, I daresay that will apply to many people who will go and see the film as they may well have never read him either. Crime thrillers are not my usual choice although I'm trying to read all sorts at the moment, as wide a range of genre as possible, so maybe I'll go and pick one up now :)
  • I've still not got around to reading these but what Liz said made me think I'll like 'em ...
    [quote=Liz!]I Love Jack Reacher. Really, very unPC as he is[/quote]
    Heh, that's why I love Andy McDermott's character 'Eddie Chase' (who Jenthom & red-lucy, Sean Bean would be great as... if we ignore the balding-ness and some other slight things, but hell Yorkshire accent :P) ... unPC characters are great (when done right ;))

Not that much of a fan (if at all) of Cruise, but seeing Hugh Jackman mentioned made me laugh... as he ended up playing Wolverine, who is actually 5ft 3 in the comics. Maybe it's a balancing out thing ;)
  • [quote=Jediya]he ended up playing Wolverine, who is actually 5ft 3 in the comics.[/quote]

Yeah but even if he had have been 5ft 3in in the movie Wolverine has a couple of advantages - adamantium skeleton, rapid healing

One of Jack Reacher's advantages is his size - I think Tom Cruise is a good actor... but I think there are other actors who would be better suited to the part

I read somewhere someone suggested Tom Hardy...

But I thought of another one - Tom Jane aka The Punisher - he would be good
  • There's a gazillion mentions in the books where his reach has meant other old nasties have not been able to 'reach' him... it's part of his character. It's like casting someone grungy and stupid as Hercule Poirot. Or a young wisp of a thing with huge bosoms as Miss Marple.
  • Red-lucy. Never read the books either. Just suggested Sean Bean because he looks the part, can act and looks like a leading man.
  • How about Alexander Skaarsgard (without the fangs, of course!) for the role. He's certainly tall enough!
  • [quote=Jenthom72] can act and looks like a leading man.[/quote]

He's one my favourites :) From the descriptions above I'd say he would fit the bill. Still I suppose it's quite flattering for a writer to have one the top stars in Hollywood starring as your character, and after all most films of books only offer an interpretation, rarely sticking to the whole idea/story. Film or book-give me the book every time.
  • I notice our local ASDA has given Lee Child a whole shelf with about six titles.