Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Holiday read suggestions anyone ?

edited July 2011 in - Reading
Saw this question being discussed elsewhere and wonder what TB'ers think.

Books I have read while 'on holiday' in the past include

a number of Anita Shreve's (can't remember titles as they are all very similar - to me)

Nick Hornby's stuff. I can read that again and again for dead-brain relief... or maybe that should be 'Induced'.

Julian Baggini. Everything he writes is good for me.

Maeve Binchy Yep, I have been known to read a couple.

Quite a few of the Richard and Judy suggestions have been really good choices, though I haven't looked at them this year.
Any recommendations ?

Comments

• Two of the three books I’d bought for reading when we go on holiday mentioned ‘grainy photograph(s)’ and contained a fatal crash in the first twenty pages. One of these said, on page 1, that AAA was ‘the oldest twin’.
  • I go for Nancy Mitford, if I'm after a relaxing, funny read. If I'm not switching off, I take books connected to my writing.
  • One of the books I read (and am still reading! It's about 800 pages) on the holiday I've just returned from is 'Drood' by Dan Simmons. I'm only a little over halfway through but it had me so absorbed in the story while lying on my deckchair that I didn't even notice a wedding happening several metres away from me (or maybe I'd just got used to them - there were three beach weddings at my hotel during that week!). It mixes Charles Dickens, murder, ancient Egyptian religion, hypnotism, opium addiction and the best depiction of the 'unreliable narrator' that I've ever read. It's not a traditional throwaway holiday novel, but it's something a little different and very enjoyable
  • "When God Was a Rabbit" by Sarah Winman is an unusual book. It doesn't 'tell', but it almost doesn't 'show', either - you're left wondering what's happened. But there are several errors (typos, etc).