Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Writing under the influence.

edited August 2011 in Writing
What are people's opinions on writing whilst under the influence of alcohol? Strange topic I know and please accept my apologies. I've got a well earned day off tomorrow and am therefore enjoying a vodka or two tonight. Always feel inspired to write a masterpiece when I've had a drink but normally find my creativity isn't quite in sync with my enthusiasm!

Comments

• I was once told to never drink when you write, but write as if you have.

Very often I get that wrong.
  • I've tried it and it's usually either really good or really bad. Stephen King said he wrote his biggest sellers while drunk and coked up and can't remember typing a single word of them. SO without it he may never have written The Shining. Strange hey.

No harm in it. The only writing I've found to cause trouble while drunk is texting and emails to ex girlfriends or mates you're having problems with.
  • Yep, best disconnect yourself from the outside world.
  • Why not? You never know, this might be the time you DO have a good, alcohol inspired idea, and tomorrow you can edit. Countless writers and poets have written under the influence of... something.
  • I've never written using any drug, because I don't or haven't taken them (why break the thing that gives you ideas?). But when I was a musician in bands there were recreational cigarettes and the jams that came out of those were sublime. We always had to record them though as nobody could remember anything they played the night before.
  • Enid Blyton on ecstasy!
  • Okay I was going to say I never knew EB took E. Then realised you meant the jams. Lol that's a good one.
  • Sorry I've got no head.

And it only cost me a thousand pounds.

A thousand pounds?
  • Oh I used to like Sorry I've Got No Head.

Wasn't that title from a Q series? Q as in Spike Milligan. Or the No Adverts series. Was it called that?
  • It may have been Tony, but now it is the title of a children's programme that I thoroughly enjoy.

Especially the lady with her blueberry pie, and the two ladies who are actually Marcus Brigstocke and another guy dressed up in women's clothes.
  • So... Marcus Brigstocke is two ladies, and there's a guy who is only DRESSED up as a woman?
  • Aww, Marcus B is dead funny, I just love him in that prog. YOu can see where they cut the scenes, as he's just about to burst out laughing.
  • Yeah Dora I meant I love that show. My eldest watches that and Horrible Histories together. She kept telling me to watch and I was dismissive because it was a kids show, like HH. Really funny. Mind you I can't stand Marcus Brigstocke because he's a dick. So it annoys me when I laugh at him because he is funny and very clever.
  • [quote=SilentTony]Mind you I can't stand Marcus Brigstocke because he's a dick.[/quote]

Mind explaining this dear heart?

Last time I saw him on a panel show thingy he seemed to have lost a lot of weight. Looked ill.
  • [quote=SilentTony]My eldest watches that and Horrible Histories together[/quote]

...it's no fun hanging with highwaymen when you're hanging from a rope ... yep, love their songs
  • He has weight problems, dora. Putting it on i mean, he has spoken about it before. so maybe he's just been on another diet.
  • Comments he's made about our city. We don't like that too much. Pretty ignorant man. Also not funny comments where it was meant as a laugh, we can do that here more than any, it was meant as spite.
  • I prefer men with a bit o'meat on 'em :) tbh.
  • Oh I see Tony.
  • Which city is that, Tony? So I can be sure not to mention it in a derogatory way.... if it is possible to be spiteful towards a city, that is...
  • LIz? Are you under the influence? Don't cha know where Tony's from?
  • I don't think I've written anything under the infludence. Well, not that I could remember.

Although you could class writing this as being under the influence of alcohol cos I've had around seven pints tonight.
  • SEVEN! That's... 14 units of alcohol, a weeks worth! For a woman.
  • Well I've run out of vodka! Do I have a cheeky cider or do I go to bed? What do ya do????
  • Liverpool Liz and it has been spoken of, written about and derided in so many ways over the years. Mostly lies and some truths. The truths we recognise and laugh at.

You see our city is like a person, it has a collective personality so it can be offended. It can also be offensive if we are that way, which is a drawback and a pity. We don't even call ourselves a city to be fair. We are the IRoL which sounds like Ireland, as is likely with the greatest number of Irish people in such a small space, but stands for the Independent Republic of Liverpool. We love the UK, Britain and England. We're just not that much a part of it at that upsets a lot of people.

Most of what you've heard about us is lies and truth. I mean we are not what the media say but are what people say, but not always as good as we say.
  • [quote=Liz!]SEVEN! That's... 14 units of alcohol, a weeks worth! For a woman. [/quote]

I don't for one minute take any notice of the Nanny State...oops sorry our Big Brother/Stasi/Government. I'm of moderate intelligence to know that those seven pints were consumed over a six and a half hour period with a meal in between. They were not rushed, so it meant that my blood alcohol levels were not overwhelmed. Hence I'm on here being corpus mentis and not falling over in some silly drunken stupour down some gutter (like so many idiots).

That 14 units is all I will drink now until next month when we go out again. And unlike some, those 14 units haven't harmed me in the same way as those who consume that every night of the week in their local. I can't believe for one minute that some ponce thinks that a woman is going to have ONE small glass of wine in a pub or have one with her meal and then switch to water or pop because some anal Dr Death on behalf of our useless Government says so. Nor will you find a bloke pop into his local, have a pint and then bid farewell because he's on a Government safe tariff. It don't happen.

New research is now showing that eight glasses of water a day is now turning to complete tits because...stop press...each human is very different. It can do more harm than good, and yet how many sheep have been following this 'advice' for years thinking it helps? I don't trust a single word the Government tells me.

Sensibility and moderation goes a long way. It worked for my great grandparents, my grand parents and it works for my parents, who all lived to ripe old ages. Seven pints every four weeks isn't going to kill anyone, unless your liver is already f***ed from alcoholism. 14 units my arse. Dr Doom failed to have a word with the Mediterraneans. They live longer than us and consume several units with each meal. They must be on a differnt life tarrif then.

Or maybe their Goverment isn't interested in controlling every aspect of it's citizen's lives.
  • [quote=Andrew H]Well I've run out of vodka! Do I have a cheeky cider or do I go to bed? What do ya do???? [/quote]

Cheeky cider.
  • Red they usually drink red wine with EV oil too. That and the sunshine helps. You're right we are all different and people who take guidelines as rules are only conning themselves.The medication I take means I can never drink so I don't. But wait there I get an invite to a dinner or a night at the local what do I do? I fancy a bottle or two of the vino after moths of nothing should I say no? Bugger that I say yes on al occasions.

Not being yourself for a while sometimes is the best medicine we can all have. So down the hatch and let's do the 'Withnail and I' drinking game.
  • Yeah that's whay annoys me about our nanny state. It dictates what we should eat, how much salt and suger we need, how much we should drink, what we should weigh, what height we should be, how much water we need. And it's all complete codswallop.

George Orwell must be pissing himself.

[quote=SilentTony]So down the hatch and let's do the 'Withnail and I' drinking game. [/quote]

Well said!
  • Writing after a few drinks might be OK*, but I don't think it would be a good idea to edit and submit until your head had cleared.

* OK for the writing that is. Your liver might be another matter.
  • OH dear dear. I'm so glad you're not one of my patients, Red. LOL.
  • LizLiz
    edited August 2011
    [quote=Red]Yeah that's whay annoys me about our nanny state. It dictates what we should eat, how much salt and suger we need, how much we should drink, what we should weigh, what height we should be, how much water we need. And it's all complete codswallop.
    [/quote]

Well... I'd have to disagree to SOME extent. They are guidelines, and certainly not 'made up' by the Gvt, they are the culmination of scientists' studies. And of course, scientists' studies do disagree. But no decision on evidence is made actually until about 10 years after what most know is the right route to take. In fact the guidelines when brought in can be out of date.

I don't view what the Gvt says in my private life as something i have to adhere to at all, and I seriously doubt, as you do, that most people take notice, even if it's only when it suits them.

And the guidelines are of necessity a 'one size fits all'. Anyone with sense will be adjusting them themselves.

But I do listen, and then examine the evidence myself.

Too little (water, but actually any liquid, and reading the guidelines carefully they DON"T say it has to be water, extra to what you drink anyway, it is the amount you should be taking in over the day, and the 8 glasses on top of what you drink was not the Gvt guidleines) to drink is the basis of so many diseases I couldn't even list them. But bowel and bladder complaints up to and including cancer and skin complaints like eczema top the list.

The Gvt even mentioning this will at least mean it's in the public consciousness.

That's just one example - both my parents died of causes linked to too little to drink. Through their whole lives, they drank one mug at each meal, and one in-between. This wasn't enough. They both suffered all the consequences and my dad got bowel cancer and my mum bladder cancer, and they both died, far too young.

So this is one of the areas which has special interest to me - and one which I read about endlessly with my own health in mind! The guidelines should say, drink so that you are able to go to the loo normally (virtually ALL cases of constipation are due to lack of enough liquid) and not to feel thirsty, drink the same amount of water that you drink in alcohol to avoid dehydration and enable your liver to break down the alcohol and get the poisons out of your body, and to stop your brain shrinking due to dehydration which is what gives you ythe headache, if you gets headaches.

But Gvt guidelines are 'nannying' as you say, and a lot of people need to be told more precisely.
  • edited August 2011
    Actually Liz sometimes they are just making it up. It was revealed recently that the government was urged to promote eating more fruit and veg by the BMA. They had no idea how to do this so a civil servant suggested telling everybody to eat up to 10 pieces a day. They thought this may put people off so his boss cut it to five. Nothing to do with doctors advice just a number snatched from thin air. I mean this politicians we are talking about remember. People who play with peoples lives all the time by just making figures up to suit their own ideologies.

I don't think it should ever be the responsibility of the government to tell us how to live. It's not their job and they don't rule us. We have this notion of a nanny state because it feels we are being given harsh boundaries and punishments that are designed to make us conform. But we are individuals so don't need them. If each person had a twice yearly physical from their own GP they would receive a tailor made set of guidelines on lifestyle. People could then choose whether or not to change their diet or they way they live.

Nobody is going to turn around and call doctors nannies if this happened are they?
  • Moderation in drinking when writing is advised- my opinion only of course ;).
    There have been lots of famous writers who imbibed too much drink when they were writing and when they weren't.
    All I can say is I'd want to be around and conscious to savour the success rather than too blotto to know about it...:)
  • [quote=SilentTony]Actually Liz sometimes they are just making it up. It was revealed recently that the government was urged to promote eating more fruit and veg by the BMA. They had no idea how to do this so a civil servant suggested telling everybody to eat up to 10 pieces a day. They thought this may put people off so his boss cut it to five. Nothing to do with doctors advice just a number snatched from thin air. I mean this politicians we are talking about remember. People who play with peoples lives all the time by just making figures up to suit their own ideologies.[/quote]

Actually - the eating fruit and veg IS based on sound scientific advice, even if the GVt was not following actual advice at the time.

In Australia and many countries the recommended amounts are much higher, and in Japan they are highest, at 13 per day. 5 is the minimum really, to keep healthy.

What isn't given is a breakdown of what you actually do need, and I think this is missing. I think they should be guidelines, and explained, which they never are. You need a variety of colours - veg are healthier than fruit, although all ill supply you with soluble fibre, and green veg is the most vital.

You can survive without - many people do, and remain healthy until a certain time in life when it all catches up with you.

Because I was on a diabetic diet for many years, which has way too much carbohydrate, and the carb bit had to be eaten, so I ate it first, and then really had no room for all the veg etc, I did not eat enough. Then I changed to a low carb diet, and ate all the veg and salad, and now have about 9 -12 portions of veg, salad and a little fruit a day. I immediately felt SO much better. i felt completely different. Amazing.
  • [quote=Liz!]Actually - the eating fruit and veg IS based on sound scientific advice, even if the GVt was not following actual advice at the time.[/quote]

That's not what I said though. Obviously eating fruit and veg has scientifically proven merits and any doctor would advise you to have a good enough intake. My point was that a civil servant made up the number that has become part of our national psyche. There was no scientific basis for that number it was only what would look good on posters. Doctors went along with it because it would improve the diet of the nation to some extent.

The problem is that fruit and veg is very expensive and increases all the time. If people are on low incomes and see a chicken for £3 but a bag of oranges is also £3 which would you buy if you only had that amount of money for your family? That's another point. The government keep banging on about raising the price of alcohol to bring down the NHS/police bill and to stop binge drinking. It claims to want this to improve the health and well being of the nation. So why not introduce a reverse tax on fruit and veg?

All we hear about is childhood obesity, binge drinking, bad diets, unhealthy lifestyles. This is only balanced out with a poxy 5 a Day poster in your local doctors and supermarket. My kids school used to give a piece of fruit a day to every kid. Since the last budget they have had to cancel several things, one being the fruit distribution. So the government can bang on about it while taking it from the mouths of children at the same time. Where are the big promotions and campaigns about making it easier for people to eat healthy? It's hypocrisy and while I don't agree that we have a nanny sate as much as people claim I can completely understand why they do feel like that. It all seems to be conditions and punishments for the bad things and little talk about the good.
  • Anyway, getting back to the original thread...

Yes, I have written some decent pieces (poetry seems to work particularly well, strangely) after several glasses of wine, but have never submitted them until the next day or later on.

OH is reading Burroughs at the moment, talking of being under the influence.

And I refuse to believe Lewis Carroll didn't imbibe!
  • Try writing on micro naps. It really expands your mind.
  • edited August 2011
    The trouble with the RDA of fruit and veg is that it seems to differ from country to country.

There is a lot of contradictory advice out there - red wine is good for your heart (in moderation) but bad for your liver.

Milk is good for your teeth/bones but too much can lead to some forms of cancer.

Water is good for you... but too much will kill you (particularly if you drown in it ;))
  • LIz, I think what you are saying makes a lot of sense. You clearly know what you are talking about. The Government are not 'dictating' what we should eat and drink and in what quantities. They are offering suggestions and promoting guidelines, offering choice. What we chose to do with this information is up to us. Guidelines change through new evidence base. Sometimes they get it wrong but that's life. Childhood obesity is drastically rising, with terrible life threatening consequences. Obesity has been shown though research to increase risk of all cancers, heart disease and early onset of type 2 diabetes, which would normally affect the elderly. Very fat children run a risk of developing 'old age' diabetes,purely due to their obesity, and if I'm correct in what I have read recently, if those obese children happen to be black or asian, then their risk is four time higher of developing diabetes.
  • Okay I'm no doctor but I'll simplify it for you all if you want. Take everything in life in balance and you should be able to enjoy things while remaining healthy. There, please leave donations in the bowl by the door on your way out.
  • [quote=cath]Very fat children run a risk of developing 'old age' diabetes,purely due to their obesity, and if I'm correct in what I have read recently, if those obese children happen to be black or asian, then their risk is four time higher of developing diabetes. [/quote] Yes, sadly.
  • It is sad that we have obese children in this country. Obviously it's to do with poor diet and lack of physical exercise. I did see a graph about a year ago showing the rise of childhood obesity correlated by the selling of school sports fields by that lovely 'Lady' Thatcher.

I don't want to get political on this, and my point is against parties of both colours, but the government is so mixed up it does make things worse. Obese children, alcoholism, drug addiction and health related disability are not just the concern of individuals but of society. There has never been an over arced plan about this and that's part of the problem.

For example they lowered the qualifying age for when milk tokens but changed them to Healthy Start so you could buy fruit and veg. It's a mixed signal. You can use this for your kids 5 a day but we'll stop it sooner. Also if you use it for fruit you then have to pay for the milk. Makes no sense. Thatcher would have loved all that milk snatching. I say give all kids free fruit and veg. I bet the cost would be lower than the cost of health problems forced upon the nation when these kids are older.
  • And if you can get to Aldi, fruit and veg are often 1/3 of the cost compared to the larger supermarkets. And what about growing your own, although last year I tried to grow some tomoatos, investing a lot of time in caring for them but they were a bit of a let down, actually.
  • edited August 2011
    Growing your own is a great idea Cath. There are a few people in our street that have allotments and they share out the stuff. It's always nicer than shop bought. Some woman stopped me in Tesco the other day when I was moaning about the fruit and veg prices going up again. She told me to go to Aldi too. It's a bit far away for me but I think I will definitely check it out now.
  • Getting back to the thread, I've found through past experience that writing and drinking do not complement each other, especially if you're on the internet. You can write things that you wouldn't normally write and post them on the world wide web; sometimes being offensive without intending to be.
  • You've got me excited now Tony. Bag of pears (7) £1.25, 8 kiwi fruit 69p, small box of blueberries 69p, tons of bananas for ??, cant remember but a fraction of the cost elswhere, 12 eggs for 99p, strawberries for £1.25, tomotoes on vine 69p.....check it out. Well worth it!
  • I really will when I get back. Esp the Toms on the vine. I love those. The blueberries in Tesco are over £2!!
  • Great for the fruit and veg.

But where do the eggs come from? Some horrible battery farm with naked chickens standing on wire and each other, pecked to pieces with sores oozing all over their bodies?