Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Microsoft Office Self Help Group

pbwpbw
edited September 2011 in - Writing Problems
I often use the Help resource in MS Word but sometimes it does not provide an answer to my question. I thought it would be helpful to have a thread on here, because sometimes searching the net for answers can really eat into your writing time.

If you have problems using Microsoft Office please post it up here and maybe another T-Ber can help.

Please give as much detail about the location of the problem (ie which Tab in the ribbon, which function).

If you are using a different brand of word processing software, please start a separate thread for it with an appropriate title.

Comments

• Here's my 'Problem of the Day' (there'll be another one tomorrow)

Location: In the View Tab - Document Map and in the References Tab - Table of Contents - Add

Problem:
    I have Document Map enabled and on my current version of WIP I added a Table of Contents (TOC) to send the document to Kindle because it makes the navigation on Kindle so much easier. Because I'm writing fiction I wouldn't normally bother with a TOC. However...

Since I added the TOC, Word is adding all of my chapter text to the Document Map, which is a pain, cos normally it just shows you the chapter headings. I guess it means I've clicked something somewhere. I took out the TOC and tried to put the Document Map function back to normal but it won't go.

Any ideas anyone?
  • I'm not 100 % sure I understand the problem here PBW. Are you saying that in Doc Map you don't just have chapter headings/numbers but chunks of the text to?

Has any of the text been formatted using styles? The Doc Map will add a new label with style Heading 1 and sub headings with style Heading 2. Not sure about any others as I've never used them. I'm just wondering if you have accidentally or at a time when formatting converted the text from normal to a style and that's the reason it's on the Doc Map.

If that's the case simply highlight the text and convert it to normal. If it's a lot of text it may be simpler and less time consuming to convert everything to normal and going back to format the chapter headings later.
  • pbwpbw
    edited September 2011
    [quote=SilentTony]Are you saying that in Doc Map you don't just have chapter headings/numbers but chunks of the text to?[/quote]
    Yes. It's adding everything I type into Doc Map.

Actually - you've provided the answer. Sometimes I unwittingly change the style - highlighting and reformatting it as 'Normal' has done the trick. Thanks ST.
  • Great idea.