Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Proper English in dialogue sounds stilted.

edited October 2011 in - Writing Problems
I’m at that stage where I’ve sent my novel to be professionally edited. He’s picked out a few errors but there is one that I’m not convinced about.

“My husband and I.”

I *know* above is grammatically correct, and normally that’s what I’d write. But in dialogue it sounds so odd and stilted. He agrees that it depends on the person talking, but believes my character is educated and would speak this way. But educated or not who talks like that? And don’t say the Queen lol

He also suggested that it could be regionally that I don’t hear it much, so I’m putting it out to you guys.

Help!

Comments

• I agree it depends on who's talking.
    I would say 'My husband and I' and I'm not that posh!
  • edited October 2011
    Louise I was born in the south-east so have a typical middle class accent and might only say' my husband and I' in certain very formal circumstances, say where the person I was talking with was not familiar with me or my OH or was some higher grade official- e.g. the Lord Mayor.

Otherwise I wouldn't use it in ordinary everyday speech.
    I suppose if your character is a sort of Hyacinth Bucket- Keeping Up Appearances comedy- character, then that would be normal speech...:)
  • I think i would say 'my husband and i' but a) i am not your character! and b) it would really depend to whom i was talking.(see what i mean :-) ) Go with your gut instinct, the readers will pick up on something out of character. I would personally prefer to read 'me and my hubby...' if it was in context.
  • What did you originally say, Louise? "Me and my husband"?
  • Apart from whether or not it is right for dialogue, it depends upon whether the phrase is the subject or the object
    of the sentence. So:
    My husband and I went home
    John took my husband and me home

But, of course, in some dialogue the best phrase, whatever the situation, will be:
    Me and me 'usband.
  • edited October 2011
    I can hand on heart admit I've never said " My husband and I" in my entire life.

Of course the context matters greatly. If that's how the person would normally speak then that's how you write the dialogue. Sometimes even if it isn't how they speak it can be used as a stress or accent such as-
    Wife on phone to husband happy he's booked a holiday for their anniversary- "Me and you are going to party like we're eighteen all over again."
    Wife annoyed at husband on phone for forgetting their anniversary- "You and I need to have a serious talk later."

Well that's how I remember relationships anyway ;)
  • I think it's largely because of The Queen thing that 'me and my husband' is heard more often. It certainly sounds more natural/less stilted than 'my husband and I.' Oddly enough 'My wife and I' sounds OK.
  • Here are my sentences that he corrected.

1. ‘That was part of the reason,’ she admitted. ‘The other was because I’ve done what Eddie and me set out to do.’

2. ‘I’m a trained teacher,’ she said. ‘And we, my husband and me, taught English in Ghana and Tanzania.

3. ‘I’ve done what me and Eddie set out to do. Now I want to have an ordinary job.'
  • [quote=louise] ‘I’m a trained teacher,’ she said.[/quote] [quote=louise] taught English[/quote]

Could be the problem.
  • edited October 2011
    I agree with ST - I would think that an English teacher would talk that way, as they would probably/possibly be more exposed to 'correct' English in their work and therefore would maybe absorb it more. After all, we generally speak based on what we have been most exposed to. (or should that be 'that to which we have been most exposed' ?)

BTW I was born near Birmingham, so am more usually compared with Benny from Crossroads than Hyacinth Bucket, so thanks for the upgrade, Carol. :)
  • I would agree that an english teacher would probably use 'I' rather than 'me'. If you feel its stilted, does the reader need to know she was an english teacher? you could allways just take that bit out :-)
  • Louise, whilst it is true that colloquial but grammatically incorrect English will very often be stylistically preferable, in each of
    these cases you really wouldn't get away with using "me."
    A good rule of thumb if you are unsure of the grammar, is to take out the other person and try I or me to see which is right.
    So, "I've done what (Eddie and) me set out to do," (I've done what me set out to do.)
    or, "I've done what (Eddie and) I set out to do." (I've done what I set out to do.)
    I think if you try that in each of these cases it will be fairly clear which you have to choose.
    Hope this helps.
  • Thank you everyone. The conversation is "chatty" and it just sounded odd with "I". I shall go with what my editor says now you've all backed him up (probably would have anyway tbh
    Cheers medears!

dunt like posh speak, me. >wipes nose on sleeve<
  • Louise remember to only do it if it feels right to you though. It's your book, your characters and your words. If that's how you feel it should be, well that's how it should be. Me, Myself and I believe that.
  • Reminds me of a very posh teacher at primary school. She had been placed on this earth
    to teach little oiks to talk proper.
    One of her pet hates was when kids would say, "Please, Miss, my pencil's broke."
    She would always supply the missing ending with a severely snapped, "en!" and make folk try
    again - "Please, Miss, my pencil's broken."

Some of us loved to score points against her. One of my chances came when I needed to use the
    pencil sharpener on her desk. "Please, Miss, my pencil's blunt," I said.
    "en!" she snapped back.
    "No, it's just blunt," I replied.
    "Well sharpen it then!" she snapped angrily.
  • As I read down your thread, Louise, I was thinking to myself that it would be more normal to srite it as 'my husband and me' in everyday speak. Until I met your three original sentences. All three of them need 'I' IMHO.

Good luck with the editing.
  • Agree with above - definitely 'I' as she's an English teacher! But also there is a problem around the phrase 'My husband and I' as it has become a bit of a cliche. So if it comes up again and sounds odd I'd change it to 'Eddie and I' just to get rid of it.
  • I think 'name and I' sounds natural for a person who usually speaks well, but 'husband and I' could possibly sound a little pretentious (maybe because of the Queen) How about, 'My husband Eddie, and I'?
  • Real conversations can be dull, and often not understandable.

I remember coming in late and switching on the telly - just to watch/listen to anything to wind down.

There was a conversation going on which was not very riveting, a bit dull, certainly not dramatic. I might have changed channel, but being an erstwhile writer I thought this must be going somewhere - not least because the actors were well known and had a big presence.
    I realised after a while that the three participants were actually in the Oval Office at The Whitehouse.
    It was about The Watergate Scandal. The actors were role playing and saying the lines of the actual [recorded] conversations that took place between President Nixon, Halderman, and his other aide whose name escapes me at the moment.

This was a very high profile scandal at the highest level and a very dramatic event.

The phrases were short, elliptical, with long pauses and knowing looks. Phrases which were shorthand for things only they would understand because of their knowledge of each other/the situation/their knowledge of how much each other knew and their attitude to risk etc etc etc.
    Their conversation was not intended to be in code, but we all know from our own experience with family, close friends, colleagues, that conversations are often truncated and brief.

This was a very high profile scandal at the highest level and a very dramatic event, but in subsequent tv/films the conversations have to make sense AND SOUND NATURAL. Sometimes a difficult trick.
  • Thanks everyone. I've been congratulated on many occasions for having "natural" dialogue, and I just want to keep this up! But not to the expense of improper grammar.
  • The majority of people don't speak RP, so why would a non-RP character speak so?

I was just having this conversation after picking up a book in my local library. I didn't bother checking it out when I saw Cleopatra and Mark Anthony speaking in RP Emglish. In Classical Rome/Egypt??!!
  • [quote=Stirling]The majority of people don't speak RP, so why would a non-RP character speak so? [/quote]

Exactly. I agree entirely, except to say that I think you meant to say grammatically not RP, which merely concerns pronunciation.
  • One feels one ought to keep one's mouth shut on this occasion

Signed,
    Lady C