Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

In a Dilemma - What would you do?

edited November 2011 in - Writing Problems
I'm really annoyed with myself. I stupidly sent a story to a woman's mag, having cut the opening paragraph to reduce the word count to their preferred length, and now realise that this leaves the ending very weak. In the original version the ending reflected the beginning which has now gone. The weakness of the ending spoils the story. Do I:
a) e-mail the mag, explain and send the original version (making me look totally unprofessional)
b) Wait until the story is rejected, then re-send with the original opening in the hope that it will make it somehow acceptable (though they might still reject it and I'll look totally unprofessional) or
c) Wait for the rejection and send the original somewhere else.

Of course there is the faint possibility they might accept it, then I'd have the problem of whether to go with their acceptance or again admit that I thought the story much better with a different opening. I feel really stupid and have resolved never to send anything again without first leaving it a couple of days then reading it OUT LOUD which is how I discovered my mistake.

What would you do?

Comments

• Personally, C.

But consider the editor might like the story and want changes so you could then send the correct version.
  • I'd send the correct version and say sorry I sent an old copy by mistake.
    I've often sent poems to comps too soon, you live and learn.
  • I think it depends on where you've sent it and whether you have a 'relationship' with that editor.

If so, I would send the amended version with an apology.

If not, and it will be in the story 'slush pile', then I would wait to see what happens - I think it may just get confused, and possibly irritating for the editor, if there are different versions floating around. If they do buy it anyway, I would leave it as it is, unless they ask for changes. Who knows, they may prefer the version you sent!

If it comes back you can try it elsewhere, then maybe resub to the original mag in a year or two.
  • [quote=casey]explain and send the original version (making me look totally unprofessional)[/quote]

Surely spotting and correcting mistakes makes you look professional?

After all, everybody makes them!
  • Oww! Yes.
  • Thanks everyone. At the moment I'm waiting to see what happens. Fingers crossed.
  • Cn't raely tpye vrye wll as my fginres rae crssoed fro yuo oto. xx
  • edited November 2011
    Good luck.
    PS did I see Kay Seeley in a writing magazine letters column this month?
  • edited November 2011
    A friend of mine who is now a retired teacher but at the time, she was still working, gave me some good sage advice which she used to give her pupils. If you haven't made a mistake, you haven't made anything. That to my way of thinking, is very sad but true. You learn from your mistakes and improve. If you were learning to play the piano for the first time, you are going to make mistakes by hitting a dum note or even singing for that fact. But with practise, you improve. Practise may not make perfect because perfection is paradise, but you can come pretty close to it. Therefore when learning any skill, you have to keep practising. Even professional musicians have to practise their pieces to ensure that on the day, they will perform well at a concert at the proms for example. So stop worrying. Here is a tip. Join Writer's Circle biz website and try out a few stories, others will give you feedback and tell you where you are going wrong. Second, I do not know the state of your finances Casey and I am sure some will disagree with me but why not take up a postal creative writing course, you can even send your assignments to your tutor by email, he or she will guide you as to where you can improve if you can afford to take one up. There is no right or wrong way of writing except to say that you must grab your readers by the throat, metaphorically and hold them throughout to the conclusion of your story - good luck and I will keep my fingers crossed for you.