Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

No Blue Peter annual this year, children want X factor or Cheryl Cole

edited December 2011 in - Reading
I was just reading that children will not receive a Blue Peter annual for Xmas this year as they have stopped doing then now due to lack of demand and i think that is a real shame, my children loved theirs.
Apparently it's all about Cheryl Cole and X factor annuals now.
I loved my Diana annual and I really looked forward to finding that in my pillow case every year.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2073292/Cheryl-Cole-Christmas-annual-I-Blue-Peters-John-Noakes.html

Re Blue Peter do they still have the advent crown and light it each year, does anyone know? I expect it's against health and safety or something now, that was another highlight of my Xmas, counting down the number of Blue Peter progs left til Xmas

Comments

• Sticky back plastic has had it's day it seems?
  • An excellent point in the DM article:

"The more cynical adults behind today’s Christmas annuals seem equally determined to imprison children in a shallow fantasy of beauty tips, accessories, ‘hot lads’ and Cheryl Cole. Curiosity, charity, aspiration and adventure are all missing. The world they offer seems infinitely smaller, and infinitely more dismal."
  • I used to collect Blue Peter Annuals. I started at number four and went up to about number twenty, they are up in the loft somewhere. Do you suppose they might be worth something now that there isn't going to be anymore? (I always was a daydreamer.)
  • My kids don't want any of those and there are plenty of great ones out there. Do we say just because Jordan has a book out everything in Waterstones is terrible?

Id this from the reporter or publisher-

"Boys can choose from the Match Of The Day Annual, the Doctor Who Annual, the Lego Annual or the Top Gear Annual?"

Didn't realise it was only boys who were interested in those subjects.
  • Kateyanne - I heard somewhere or other that this year's instructions are on the Internet!
    CarolA
  • I remember the advent candle thing clearly - 2 metal coat hangers intertwined with some tinsel, a candle on each corner and one in the middle. Brilliant ! I also remember making one but not quite getting the candles to stay upright.

Bought some "annuals" the other day from Asda for grandchildren.
    Peppa Pig, Cars, Little Kitty and something else which I have forgotten. Then saw a Brownie Annual in the pound shop. My 7yr old grand-daughter just started Brownies this September. (Unfortunately it's 2010's but I don't think it matters much)

We did comment on how thin the books are compared to ones I had as a child - at least a quarter of the thickness ! Sign of the times obviously
  • Children don't choose one or the other - they are flogged one or the other on TV ads and in their "pre-teen" comics. "Pre-teen" implies that no matter how young you are, you are trying very hard to be a teenager, and they will help you to do this by showing you how to dress up like a woman in her 20s.
    I have twin grandsons who are three, and I am just so overwhelmed by their innocence. Why can't we let our children be children? Sticky backed plastic and a few toilet rolls can be magic in their hands ( and a horrible mess!) but it isn't sophisticated enough these days.
    Also known as, "if you aren't spending money on it, we aren't making a profit out of you".
    The Top Gear Annual? So it is a kiddie's programme after all.
  • [quote=bertiebear]The Top Gear Annual? So it is a kiddie's programme after all.[/quote]

Well it's certainly presented by childish men.
  • I only ever had one Blue Peter Annual, 5th one: And I can still remember a LOT of what was in it. I was mad about horses and Val went showjumping! There was also a skiing lesson, a murder mystery short story where you had to work out what was wrong with different 'testimonies' and a load of other things. I really loved it and if I ever saw a copy in a charity shop I'd buy it just for old times' sake!
    I loved DIANA annual too, KA!!!