Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Does anyone know the approximate number of words required for a detective novel?

edited December 2011 in - Writing Problems
Does anyone know the approximate number of words for a detective novel? I have tried to find out but no answer has been the reply. Not much help

Comments

• For new novelists in general the advice seems to be 80,000 - 120,000.
    I don't suppose detective novels are much different.
  • As Heather says, but you could try asking the Crime Writers Association (www.thecwa.co.uk).
  • [quote=heather]For new novelists in general the advice seems to be 80,000 - 120,000.[/quote]

I would actually say 80,000 - 100,000.

120,000 would make an editor blanche. Only Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Historical are able to stretch that far.
  • [quote=Stirling]Only Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Historical are able to stretch that far. [/quote]

And as a Sci-Fi writer I can say that I have been advised to keep to the 100,000 limit. :)
  • Fascinating ! First time I've ever thought that there would be a difference in number of words for a detective/historical/sci-fi etc novel !
    Think I'll stick with the flash fiction and short stories for next year :)
  • The prostrate body still held the smoking pistol, no one but the DI was present.
    'This wasn't murder,' Inspector Penny Black said, 'it was suicide!'

Who says you need 100k words?