Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Anybody fancy £50 to spend at Amazon.co.uk?

edited January 2012 in - Writing Tales
I wasn't really sure where to post this, so apologies if there's somewhere better suited for it.

I've set up a "treasure hunt" to raise awareness of my self-published anthology of short stories. The first prize is a £50 Amazon.co.uk voucher. There's also a £10 runner-up prize.

It's free to enter. You don't have to buy a copy of my book but you do need to look at the contents page on Amazon (which can be done via the "Look Inside" feature). It's very easy to complete, but if you hit any problems get in touch and I'll give you a hand.

The closing date is 31st January 2012. I've had a respectable amount of entries so far but the odds of winning a prize are still extremely good.

For full details and all the links you'll need, please visit the dedicated page on my blog:

http://www.lies-ink.blogspot.com/p/win-amazoncouk-vouchers.html

Good luck!

Comments

• [quote=danfango]Good luck! [/quote]

Thanks, I'll go have a look later.
  • Thanks, Dora.

[quote=danfango]all the links you'll need[/quote]

I made it sound more involved than it really is. It's just one link, to the relevant Amazon page.
  • It can't really be that complicated as I managed to solve it. ;-)
  • I did it too - great fun. :-)
  • I've managed it too. I hope it helps your sales Dan.
  • Yes best of luck Dan
  • Thank you all; it's great to get a few more entries and to know my challenge wasn't too fiendish!

I've read back my initial post and now not only am I annoyed about the "all the links" bit, I also see I wrote "a respectable amount of entries". Number of entries, I mean. What was I thinking?!

To anybody else reading this, don't be shy - £50 for a quick visit to Amazon and a bit of luck. Can't be bad!
  • (This is a repeat of my message sent elsewhere, just thought it'd be useful to post it for other Tbers)

Hiya Dan, am about to email you with my answer but simply had to say, have just read and enjoyed

"The Bus Driver Who Stopped And Then Didn't"

I could really feel Roland's pain ;D and the bus driver's attitude about her job gave this story that something extra.

Also listing your achievements in the contents of your books, as you have, is a good idea.

Thanks for the read. :)
  • your website is great. Very well presented. It might be worth keeping people in the site when they follow links to the book. At the moment it doesn't open a separate window to take you to lulu or Amazon, it takes you away from your site.

I've added the book to my wish list - sorry I can't splash out at the moment, but if my husband gets paid this month I might treat myself then!
  • Thanks, Dora and Mutley, you're both very kind. I'm sorry I haven't been back to see your comments before now, I recently got sucked into Twitter and am only just weaning myself off it now. Normality is more or less resumed!

[quote=Mutley]It might be worth keeping people in the site when they follow links to the book. At the moment it doesn't open a separate window to take you to lulu or Amazon, it takes you away from your site.[/quote]

I know that can be done, but I'm not sure how. I have my browser set up so that a middle mouse button click opens the link in a new tab, and I forget that not everybody works that way. I'll have a look and see if there's anything I can do.

Thanks again; I really appreciate your interest.
  • Tiny bit of code that tells it you want it to use a new window...gimme a shout if you want a hand. Ex computer dude/web programmer willing to lend a hand :)
  • I always put that bit of code into links on my blog- it's simple once you know where to put it. :)
  • Just a reminder about this competition - there's now just over a week before I draw the winning numbers, so don't hang about!

BR, I'm hoping to find time to tinker with my blog in the next week or two; I may well be knocking on your door for that bit of code...
  • There's just one full day left of this competition - get your email in before midnight tomorrow to be in with a chance of winning £50 to spend at Amazon.

It only takes a few minutes to do, costs nothing, and won't lead to you getting loads of spam in your inbox. The only downside is that you might have to find room in your house for a stack of new books, CDs, and DVDs... which doesn't sound like too bad a deal to me.

If you have any questions, please let me know.
  • OMG, I won, I won, I won, I WON! I can't remember the last time I was successful in a competition. :-)

Thank you so much for my £50 vouchers, Dan.
  • Congratulations, Girl Friday. (I'm hardly at all jealous)
  • Well done Girl Friday, have fun spending it :)
  • [quote=Phots Moll]Congratulations, Girl Friday. (I'm hardly at all jealous)
    [/quote]

"through gritted teeth" ditto

:) honestly, have great fun spending 'em, what a great prize that was.
  • Well done GF.
  • Well done GF.
  • Congratulations, Girl Friday! I hope you enjoy whatever you spend your vouchers on.

Thanks to any other TBers who entered, it was great to get a good response from the site.
  • well done! I only just found this and went through and got the answer before realising I'd missed the deadline. Whoopsie! Never mind.
    Great fun though, Dan and a good idea. The website looks good too and I like the way you have listed what each story won - that's a great idea. Good luck with the sales. I'm rather in the same boat as Mutley right now with regards to finances but should things turn better, I'll be looking for this. Good luck with the sales.
  • Thanks, sweetpea. Sorry to have wasted your time (I'll take the competition page down now - I'd forgotten I hadn't done that yet), but I'm glad you enjoyed the challenge.
  • No waste. Anything that gets the cogs turning (especially in the chill!) is good :)