Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Covering Letter

edited February 2012 in - Writing Problems
I've just finished a short story and I am ready to submit it. I'm just having a problem with the covering letter. I know it needs to be short and come straight to the point, but I could do with some hints or tips on what a covering letter should contain.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Comments

• Whenever I've sent a covering letter with a short story I've kept it simple-as a couple of successful short-story writers advised me.
    Address it to the editor by name- unless you've been told otherwise.
    I've then just said I'm enclosing my short story (title) of (approximate length) for their consideration and enclosing an SAE.
    It may be the target, has specific submission requirements, so just follow those.
    Good luck.

Sure other TB's will be able to advise you if you should include anything else.
  • Thanks, thats really helpful.
  • Oh - thought I'd replied to this??

Things you might like to add are - the rights you're offering (for example if the story has been published anywhere at all before you'd need to make that clear) and if the publication has several fiction slots make it obvious what you're subbing to.

Do keep it simple though. Read the guidelines and if they want a bio (or anything else) include it, otherwise simply state what you're sending and why.
  • Some mags don't seem to give a rap about ANY covering letter - Fiction Feast for one.
    But if you do one, agreed as above, keep it simple and very short, Toria - and good luck!
  • Hi, Toria. Welcome to Talkback. Why not introduce yourself via a new thread on the Welcome Writers category? Best of luck with the story!