Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

I hate titles!

I hate titles. I always think an appropriate one will come as I write, but rarely does this happen. I know what my story is about: A woman afraid of flying. Learns to fly, so makes it to her brothers wedding in Australia. That's it! That's the story!

But can I think up a title? Can I heck!

I also hate word counts. I am under par for the original intended market. But I think the story is done. Finished. Complete. I like it!

So now, I have to think if I can add more without sounding like that's what I'm doing, or I need to find a new market!

GRRRR :D

Comments

• Start brainstorming.

Planes
    Wedding
    Wings
    Australia
    Flight
    Fear

Eventually you'll get something.
  • How far under par? If it's a novel, I understand that 60,000+ is enough.

As for titles - I use a working title (otherwise I wouldn't know which "New Doc" to open)
    My latest novel "A Strange Adoption" started out as "Jack".
    Have you got a tame reader who could suggest something?
  • I will be sending it out to someone to read tomorrow.

If it is for the regular magazine, only about 100 words. For the Fiction Feast, it is 350 words.
  • If you're subbing this to Take a Break you needn't get too stressed about the title as Norah almost always changes them anyway.
  • No Worries
  • PM, yes that is my intended first market. I was going for the Fiction Feast, but the word count looks like TAB will be more likely!
  • The shortest one of mine that was accepted for FF was 750 words - think that's about as low as she generally goes. Stories are considered for both mags though, so you don't have to decide yourself which to aim for.

Good luck.
  • [quote=Baggy Books]Eventually you'll get something. [/quote]

a headache?
  • I was told fairly recently that a 800 word story was too short and was asked to up it to 900 min for FF - then she didn't buy it anyway!

I didn't think the weekly TaB was publishing fiction any more.

If you do need to up the wordcount, try to add another scene or thread or surprise that will enhance the story, rather than more description or 'padding' (I'm sure you know that anyway!)
  • I am going by recent guidelines received this year heather, and it appears that they do!

I haven't been reading the weekly TaB, but have been buying FF as it was my initial target. Will have to start buying TaB too.

Yes, I know about no more padding. I am sending it to a beta reader, with them specifically looking at what is missing. Hopefully that will help, because I sure as hell can't see it!
  • Baggybooks has your title in the first five words samperkins - Wedding Wings. (The first dance would be to Gween Gween Gwass of Home)
    Funny, I really enjoy thinking up titles. I leave it until the story is complete and then brainstorm keywords or theme.
  • [quote=samperkins]I hate titles. [/quote]

What?
    How very dare you?

Yours offended,

from
    The Right Honourable
    Dame and Duchess of Ootibridge,
    the Nonsensical
    Madame Plopedieu-uuurrgh

"opens door to lavvy and calls out"

Oi, who nicked me tiara?
  • The whatsit who invaded dora: I said I hate titles! Don't bring your sort here again.

It is worth thinking about doodleysquit. Not sure it is 'serious' enough though. But it is late and I aren't feeling overly creative. See if my friend thinks of anything.
  • Titles - love 'em
    I'm new here - I made lots of suggestions, then lost my original message where I'd had a good ole brainstorm :(
    How about:

Rising Above It
    Over and Out
    Into the Blue/Slicing the Blue
    Clouded Vision
    Grounded
    Winging It
    Taking Control
    A View to Air
    Touchdown
  • Some flying quotes that may inspire you:

http://www.quotegarden.com/flying.html
  • I like the Mark Twain one:

"Same the Angels Breathe"

What d'ya think?
  • Hi, Tiny Nell. Why not introduce yourself on a new thread/discussion under the Welcome Writers category?
  • High On Love (Hmm. Maybe not.)

On a Wing and a Prayer

Something to do with aisle - on a plane, in a church.

Virgin :)
  • Haha

Nothing has really screamed out at me yet. I think it needs to be more connected with her internal conflict of wanting to see her brother married, but too scared to fly.......

It will come.
  • Turbulence (?)
  • This may give you a few ideas:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pteromerhanophobia
  • edited March 2012
    Storm in a Teacup?
  • It's working title is now 'Turbulence', thanks to Rosalie. But I still don't think it quite fits....

I will have a nosey at the wikipedia link, thanks Jay :D
  • Hi Jay ,
    I have just returned to re-visit this site. Thank you for your invitation. Is there a specific place where I should introduce myself? I wouldn't want to ignite the wrath of fellow writers!!
  • Oh, don't worry...I've found it!